What's the place where you live like?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: What's the place where you live like?

Post by Patricia-CR »

It's really interesting to learn under the conditions that each one of us live, and how we struggle to provide these gorgeous plants the closest to their real habitat environment, and how they adapt to certain conditions too. Of course, casualties are unavoidable :???: But the good thing is that, no matter what, we all have manage to have our collection of cactus and/or succulents (tu)

Thord, I'm impressed on how good your collection has adapted to low temperatures in the GH! They're energy savers :wink: It must be a delight when all the plants begin to bloom (your wife's and yours).

Dave, I bet you have gorgeous plants in such unsuitable weather :smile:

Devrim, sounds like you do have a very favorable weather. And, let me tell you, you have been bitten by the cactus/succulent bug! Though you have small seedlings, you'll soon be looking for more space... Good luck with your experimenting, that's the best way to learn how well they adapt to our weather changes.

Iann, true. It's a constant satisfying challenge.

Aiko, I never take my plants out of the GH, not even in the dry season, it would be too demanding. My GH is made of screen, though, so the wind passes through.

Fabiao, seems like the Mediterranean climate is very close to ideal for these plants!

Lindsey, what's the difference between a conservatory and a greenhouse? How do you manage that high humidity in your GH?

CoronaCactus, OMG, you are lucky! You live in their natural habitat! Do you grow high altitude varieties? What do you grow?

Dot, to answer your question, I've seen that in the open, succulents such as a wide variety of agaves are tolerant to everything (here in CR), they win over some euphorbias, some opuntias and some other cactus that may resist the weather, but sometimes showing signs of giving up :roll:
Last edited by Patricia-CR on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat :cac2:
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Patricia-CR wrote:Dot, I've seen that in the open, succulents such as a wide variety of agaves are tolerant to everything
I fear Agave schidigera is one of the weaker of Agave. It could not even tolerate -10C for a couple of weeks in the greenhouse in December...
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

Thanks, Aiko. I made the correction in the post :wink: . I was answering Dot's question, talking about certain agaves being very tolerant to Costa Rica's weather (temperature usually ranges between 12º to 28ª C, with slight changes depending on the Northern Hemisphere climate and on the altitude of the place).
DWDogwood
BCSS Member

Post by DWDogwood »

San Jose California.
Similar to respondents from Corona California 400 miles south, and Lisbon, half way across the globe.
Dry breezy summers with overnight ocean fog, Hot dry Autumn, Cool winters but rarely below 32/0 with some rain. Spring started for us this year in mid-January. By February 5 we registered quite a few days in the mid-seventies. It will still be spring in early July.
I can safely grow any cactus in my greenhouses with small electric space heaters to come on around freezing.
Every few years there is a real freeze for a few days, but it's very unusual.
San Francisco 50 miles north just had a 5 minute snow flurry and everyone was going nuts. it's so rare.
The closet native cacti are 300 miles south near Ventura, Ca, on the coast.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Patricia-CR wrote:Lindsey, what's the difference between a conservatory and a greenhouse?
Conservatory is built onto the dining-room so I can go and enjoy my plants without leaving the house ;)
I keep it frost-free with a small electric fan heater, and/or by closing the roof blinds
(BTW, slightly off topic, anyone in UK know anything about motorised conservatory blinds?)

Greenhouse is at the end of the garden.
How do you manage that high humidity in your GH?
It's hubby's greenhouse, and it contains no C&S... it's for useful things like cabbage seedlings and (in summer, as there's no heating) tomato plants! :lol:
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

[quote="Lindsey"]It's hubby's greenhouse, and it contains no C&S... [quote]

Have you never been tempted Lindsey? :wink:
Last edited by BrianMc on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Patricia,

I'm on the beautiful, western side of Central Scotland. Conditions as per Ian and Dot, only duller, cooler and wetter!
Borderline sufficient natural winter daylight for active succulents. Short summer growing season. I have two small greenhouses which are essential.

Previous winter low temperatures (1989-2008) averaged at around -5C, but were mostly between -2C and +4C(1995 the exception went down to -22C for one short period). The last few years winter temperature lows are down to as low as -17C, but perhaps a better average low would be -8C ( but much more prolonged cold)

Summer temperatures are usually just above 20C, very rarely anywhere near 30C.

Even so, I have been able to grow some succulents outside in my rockery , all year round, if protected from winter rain. The best agave I have found is A.utahensis var. eborispina, which have been in the ground for two years and still appear to be ok. I have a couple of small A.parasana in the rockery which left the comfort of the greenhouse 5 years ago! Winter rain protection is essential here as I have even found that most sempervivum will eventually decline with all the wetness.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Patricia-CR wrote:Thanks, Aiko. I made the correction in the post :wink: .
Ah, I see. Costa Rica.
I think that anyone living in a warm and succulent friendly environment should take up growing plants that like frost and much rain a lot..! Makes it so much more fare for us succulent growers from northern Europe, increasing your challenges a bit!
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

DWDogwood, sounds perfect there. I should visit the U.S. West Coast!

Lindsey, thanks!

Brian, so it's pretty cold all year round. And, yes, the weather's been crazy for quite a few years now, all over the world :sad: Those Agaves of yours are winners!!

I agree, Aiko, :grin: for what I've learn here, it's definitely a bigger challenge for Northerners to grow C&S than for us in tropical, Mediterranean, or California climate. I've tried to grow apples and a variety of nectarine :wink: and what a disaster... I needed to spray both trees a lot, they were always sick, and they just produced 1 apple and a few nectarines before dying. Learned my lesson, and stick with what grows easier.
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

Thord wrote:<...>I think most of us here in the north of Europe treats our plants more or less the same....
Hi Patricia, greetings from Finland. :smile: I am agree with Thord according to Northern Europe cacti-growers. All the same. My cacti spent winter time in the heated garage with temps from +4 to +9C. And all the summer long they're in small 3 greenhouses in the yard. This spring I plan to finish bigger greenhouse (about 8m2). We have a mild warm summer but night temps are common from +10 to +18C that cacti usually like.
P.S. Is cactus native to your country some Selenicereus or Rhipsalis?
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland