Advices request for sowing some species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fatich
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Advices request for sowing some species

Post by fatich »

Aiko wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 pm
Aiko wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:08 pm More experiences out there by anyone regarding Ancistrocactus, Glandulicactus, Sclerocactus and Echinomastus? Preference to sow in April like any "ordinary" cactus genera, or wait for prolonged warmer weather in May?
I just sowed these in April. Did well for basically all species.

Now I have another question. This time on Fritillaria. When will be the best time to sow these in an unheated greenhouse? Early spring, or would the autumn be better?
There is a place close to my house where Fritillaria fleischeriana grows. 2 weeks ago i went to that location, i couldnt see any of them emerged from the soil yet. We had snow and minus temps at nights and low teps at daytime last week, but this week we have some warmer temps. I havent visited there after the last visit.
Maybe it gives some idea.

These photos taken 17.04.2020
Fritillaria fleischeriana
Attachments
IMG20200417153656.jpg
IMG20200417153653.jpg
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Thanks for the advice. I think I will sow them tomorrow. We will likely still have a few colder days and night time temperatures around freezing until April at least. I also have Cyclamen to sow. I guess it is probably best to sow them now too...
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I would - in the same conditions.

In fact I have some hederifolium seeds I meant to sow in the autumn to do - I shall try and do them when I get in from work tomorrow and we can have a race (not a fair one though as it will be two seed trays worth of home collected seed of about the easiest and most common species there is! 😁)
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I can't recall exactly when I sowed Cyclamen last year. Also in February or March, I think. They only germinated in the autumn (October?). I just kept the pots out all winter, and the Cyclamen are still fine. Unfortunately no Fritillaria from last year, which I probably have sown at the same time. I also left those outside in winter. Maybe those I should have brought in when the cold and excessive rains started. Who know if the would have germinated by now.
edds wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:13 pm I shall try and do them when I get in from work tomorrow and we can have a race
You're on!
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

How are your seeds going Aiko?

Spotted this tonight...
Cyclamen hederifolium
Cyclamen hederifolium
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

That’s really early. Don‘t tell me summer is over!
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I think our topsy-turvy weather has tricked it! We had blazing heat followed by cool and rainy weather so it thought it was autumn I think! If it gets hot again I shall have to move it out of the greenhouse or it will fry!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

edds wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm How are your seeds going Aiko?

Spotted this tonight...

PXL_20210621_200922476.jpg
Nothing to see with mine yet! But I suspect it will take a month or two / three.
Aiko wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 pm
edds wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:13 pm I shall try and do them when I get in from work tomorrow and we can have a race
You're on!
Darn it.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:
Ed

BCSS member 53038