Advices request for sowing some species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Advices request for sowing some species

Post by Aiko »

I will be trying to sow a few species for the first time (or as a second chance). I am a bit doubtful at how and what time to sow the following species. Can anyone with experience on these species give me some pointers?

1 - Different Tylecodon species (T. pygmaea, T. reticulata, T. paniculata. T. nolteei)
I have tried Tylecodon species before, sowing at low temperatures at the end of March, along with Haworthia and mesembs. Theoretically should be fine, but haven't had success last year with Tylecodon paniculata. Could have been the seeds, could have been me.

2 - Pelargonium appendiculatum
Haven't tried this one at all yet. Some odd looking seeds. Should I sow the seeds with or without the thwirly ends?

3 - Different Bulbine species (B. haworthioides, B. margarethae, B. praemorsa, B. bruynsii)
Never tried Bulbine at all. I assume it can me sown late March along with Haworthia and mesembs. Would like confirmation. Or best sown in autumn?

4 - Different Massonia species (M. depressa, M. pustulata and M. echinata)
Same goes for Massonia. Sowing in early spring in March at relatively cold conditions, or better wait for autumn?

5 - Different Othonna species (O. lepidocaulis, O. sonchifolia, O. protecta, O. macrosperma)
First try at Othonnas. I know they have a bad name when it comes to germination rates. Yet again I assume early spring to be a good time to sow. Or would they prefer it a bit warmer, and better to sow them along with cacti in warmer April?

6 - Yavia cryptocarpa
Probably just fine in April, along with other cacti?

7 - Welwitschia mirabilis
I know this one should come with an instruction manual. No repotting for the first few years. Check. So one is better off sowing them in a big pot. What is a big pot? I have read in one article to sow them in 30 centimeter deep pots. Seems a bit excessive, after having seen seedlings in a 15 centimeter pot too. But then again, I assume it is not a problem to sow all the seeds in one pot, instead of separate pots for each seed?

8 - Drimia uniflora
Probably just fine in April. Or better a bit earlier with cooler nights?

9 - Idria columnaris / Fouquieria columnaris
Haven't had any success last year. The seeds rotted before my eyes when I sowed them last April. Could have been unlucky, could have been my fault.
Last edited by Aiko on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josse
BCSS Member

Re: Advices request for sowing some species

Post by Josse »

Hello Aiko,

As to the Othonnas - I get my best results when sowing seeds at quite a lower temps, say around 10C. I have a feeling that they love lower germination temperatures. Providing day/night temperature fluctuation might work even better. I normally put my Othonna seeds into the fridge to achieve that.

Yes, Othonnas have a bad name when it comes to good germination ratio. In my opinion it all depends on your seeds source.
I think the viability of O. seeds doesn't last for too long, two years probably is on the edge.
Hard to say which time of the year is the best. However, vast majority of my Othonna seeds was sown around this time.

Hope this helps..
Josse
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Josse wrote:Hope this helps..
Very much! Thanks.
I will try my Othonna early March. The temperatures will be around 10 outside, and inside the greenhouse just a bit warmer on a dull day. If that doesn't help, I will just leave them and they can try to germinate along with the mesembs late March when it is a bit warmer to see if that will do the trick. Better too early then too late.
graham
BCSS Member

Post by graham »

I sowed Massonia as if they were "normal" summer growing plants and the seeds did fine, the problem is then what to do with them the coming winter. I cannot provide a lot of heat in the winter so I just kept a close eye on them and allowed them to go dormant when they chose to; subsequently I let them lead and as two year olds they seem fine.
As for Welwitschia, I've gotten them to germinate but they then succumbed to fungal infections and I am dubious about trying again. The best reference that I have found (in my opinion), which I think came from BCCS forum, is http://bihrmann.dk/Caudiciforms/subs/wel-mir-sub.asp and his own "And my own project on growing Welwitschia from seeds." (a PDF). But there are others with slightly different, well, sometimes very different, methods.

graham
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

Othonas always had a bad name when it comes to germination! See below
Last edited by Rene G on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

[quote="Rene G"]Othonas always had a bad name when it comes to germination! However, the most important requirement for germination of Othonna is light. I found this out by accident some years ago. I had sown the Othona seed at the same time as the Cacti seeds in the propagator, when after five or six weeks nothing showed on the OthonnaI I became very disolutioned. I had some more Cacti seed to go in to the propagater and needed the space. So at this point, of desperation I took the pot with the Othonna seed out and placed it on the top shelf of the greenhouse into full sun. To my amazement when a week later I looked at the pot - they were up and germination was reasonably good. At this point I wrote to a succulent magazine that existed at the time (can't remember the name, it was a long time ago) and got a mention in one of Gordon Rowly's books.

Important though, never let the seed dry out and water from below - never spray. Oh, and do not cover the pot! It is also worth remembering when poting up later that they are autumn and winter growers, so water ththen too
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Pelargonium seeds, leave the curly bit on and plant it in March, they usually germinate quite well. After that it depends on the type.

Bulbine, plant now water well but keep them above freezing. They will probably grow like weeds.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I've got some seeds of Massonia, Bulbine, Lachenalia and Resnova. Can I just put them in a pot and leave them outside or do they prefer a baggie? (I'm in Northern California so frost will likely not be an issue any more this year, but night time temps are usually upper 30s/lower 40s deg F (3-8C)).
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Pelargonium - I take the twirly bits off.........
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Herts Mike wrote:Pelargonium - I take the twirly bits off.........
Well I don't! But as with so many of the finicky details we discuss on here, I'm sure it makes no difference whatsoever. I poke the seed end into the compost, and then enjoy watching the 'twirly bit' rotate as it absorbs moisture. It's said to be a mechanism to 'screw' the seed into the ground.
graham wrote:I sowed Massonia as if they were "normal" summer growing plants and the seeds did fine, the problem is then what to do with them the coming winter...
As I misunderstanding? Massonia are winter-growing plants, at least with me. If collecting seed from my own plants, then I sow as soon as it's ready (i.e. sometime in summer), so they are ready to come up in phase with the adult plants starting growth in autumn. They don't need winter warmth beyond keeping the frost away.

But I've certainly sown both Pelargonium and Massonia at other times - they seem happy to grow through what would normally be the dormant period. I guess they have to, as they haven't yet got a tuber/bulb, but they'll have formed one by the time they first go dormant in spring.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat