Advices request for sowing some species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Advices request for sowing some species

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:38 pm Anyone with some further advice on Rauhia peruviana? I tried sowing it twice before, without any results showing for it. Now I got another small batch to try.
I can't recall what I did differently. Probably not much, but they germinated well and they should hopefully wake up again soon.

I do have another question:

When is the best time to sow Fritilaria, specifically Fritillaria meleagris, F. pudica and F. tubaeformis?

I do all my sowing without additional heat and lights, just in my greenhouse. Should I sow now (I might be late in the season already, maybe), or better wait for autumn or winter?
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Aiko wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm I do have another question:

When is the best time to sow Fritilaria, specifically Fritillaria meleagris, F. pudica and F. tubaeformis?

I do all my sowing without additional heat and lights, just in my greenhouse. Should I sow now (I might be late in the season already, maybe), or better wait for autumn or winter?
I'd sow them now in soil based compost and cover them with a thick layer of fine grit and leave them outside somewhere sheltered. They will either germinate now or sit there until next spring.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

So the same advice as you gave me for the Cyclamen? Thanks.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Aiko wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:10 pm So the same advice as you gave me for the Cyclamen? Thanks.
Yeah - I find it's perfect for all hardy bulbs!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

How hardy would you think most of the Fritilarias are?
I only have a few species I kept indoors this winter. They are outside now, in the rain and the little frost we will be getting later in the week. I don't dare to put them outside all winter, though. I see they have just come up and are growing nicely.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Meleagris is fully hardy for me and growing in my border and lawn outside (the ones in the border were seed raised and are currently flowering).

I don't grow the other two but pudica is reportedly hardy to USDA zone 3 and tubiformis is from the Alps so cold shouldn't be a problem! I know many grow these species in cold greenhouses or bulb frames to stop them getting too wet but that shouldn't be an issue for seeds - just once they've germinated.

This site looks useful for more expert info.
http://www.fritillaria.org.uk/fritillar ... t---z.html

And this is a nursery I've ordered lots from in the past with good results and their info about pudica,
https://www.rareplants.co.uk/product/fr ... ia-pudica/
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Thanks. As I got them from the Dutch rock garden society, one would assume they would be hardy enough to be outside year round. But I guess there might always be exceptions on the list.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Absolutely. If you want to err on the side of caution they could go in a well ventilated cold frame for the winter.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I just sowed them along with others I got from the rock garden society, Umbilicus rupestris, Dictyolimon macrorrhabdos, Boykinia jamesii, Arum dioscoridis and three Saxifragas, Saxifraga longifolia, Saxifraga paniculata and Saxifraga sempervivum. They should al be winter hardy.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

(tu) Good luck!
Ed

BCSS member 53038