Rescue mission

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
highland.hermit
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGHLANDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Rescue mission

Post by highland.hermit »

oh i wish i was close enough to come and collect the christmas cactus. i love these and its a beauty.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

As I am a sucker for a neglected plant, here is another Ferocactus I took on. It is much the same size as the other and came to me as a plant that got dumped on a group of alpine enthusiasts, who had not a clue what to do with it. It originally had twin heads but one half had stopped growing. I had to break the pot again to get it out and eased it into its current one this week.
Can anyone identify it for sure, please? I think it is either F gracilis or latispinus and here it is.
IMG_0641.10001.jpg
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Conrad
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Conrad »

Great thread, very interesting to see that the plants managed so well in such apparently adverse conditions.

I was thinking though, when you see habitat pictures of large cacti growing from humus filled cracks in rock I always think their rootspace must be seriously limited, so maybe it's just not that much of an issue.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by Paul D »

Could it be F. wislizeni?
Well done for rescuing it, it looks a nice size.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Conrad, I suspect that in habitat the roots will force their way down and out until they reach water. Roots have amazing strength and determination and can push aside most obstacles.

Hi Paul, thank you for the suggestion. Do you mean is it big? Yes, 30+cms tall and fairly wide as you can see. I like Ferocactus but having two large ones suddenly appear is going to mean more squeezing in the greenhouse over winter.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

A couple of updates on this thread.
The Trichocereus got rehomed, so not my problem anymore.
Some recent pictures.
The Schlumbergera has gone from strength to strength and will have to come indoors this winter as there will be absolutely no room in the greenhouse for it and I would miss the flowers.
IMG_2733.10001.jpg
The Ferocactus has grown really well, it has been outside ever since I got it.
IMG_2735.10001.jpg
The Rebutias are fine and I potted up lots of other bits of offsets. The old Echinopsis oxygona middle was well and truly alive and produced several offsets. As I already had a few dozen it has gone to the Great Compost Heap in the sky.
James Pickering
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by James Pickering »

Excellent pics and reports Liz. Thank you for posting them.

James
James
Cactus cultivation notes (secure web site)
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image