Rescue mission

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Rescue mission

Post by Liz M »

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago to go and rescue some Cacti. It was an interesting experience, as the plants were very old and their owner had died and left them in the care of his wife, who has sadly died, too. She had looked after them well but never repotted them, reputedly for 25 years. I thought you might be interested to see what happened.
IMG_0567.10001.jpg
This Mammilaria gracilis was the least problem, as it came easily out of the plastic pot and slid into a new one with ease. I lost a minimum of pieces and it looks much better.
IMG_0563.10001.jpg
This Rebutia (miniscula?) was overflowing its pot, it had flowered recently and had more buds. I had to smash the pot to get it out and you can see what it was like in the next picture.
IMG_0574.10001.jpg
Unfortunately it was impossible to repot it successfully without it breaking up, I managed to get three pieces potted up and a lot of singles are left.
IMG_0566.10001.jpg
I'm not sure what this is, cacti are not my strong point, it looks very healthy but again I had to smash the pot to get it out. You can see what it looked like then
IMG_0568.10001.jpg
A well defined pot shape and a lot of compacted roots
I managed to pot it up almost in one piece just trimming off some of the excess
Last edited by Liz M on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Re: Rescue mission

Post by Liz M »

IMG_0565.10001.jpg
This was a beauty, again I had to smash the pot.
IMG_0569.10001.jpg
Unfortunately it fell apart as I tried to break it up, so in the end I broke it up completely. Here it is in pieces.
IMG_0573.10001.jpg
As you can see, the original rosette was still there hidden in the middle. I don't suppose it will grow but out of interest I intend to pot it up to see what happens.

I left the best until last
IMG_0576.10001.jpg
This is a monster Ferocactus and it was in a tiny pot and so unstable I had to place it inside a couple of heavy clay pots. It is over 30 cms above the pot and weighs a ton. I had to smash the pot again (I have loads of crocks, now) but managed to repot it with the aid of my husband, with very little damage to it or myself (I wore some sturdy leather gloves). This is it now.
IMG_0577.10001.jpg
If anyone can name any of the plants I would be grateful and I have plenty of spares if anyone wants them.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

How great that the plants have been rescued and whilst they may not have been repotted since....? they are not in bad condition.

Plant 1 is as you say Mammillaria gracilis
Plant 2 again as you say Rebutia minuscula probably
plant 3 is probably Trichocereus huascha, will be more sure when it flowers
plant 4 is Echinopsis sp.
The last plant is probably Ferocactus hystrix

Good growing, Suzanne Mace
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

4 is E. oxygona; 3 is maybe a bit too chunky for huascha but, as Suzanne says, flowers will tell and I'm sure that with a repot and a greenhouse winter a plant of that size will soon oblige.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
highland.hermit
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGHLANDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by highland.hermit »

ill leave the identifying to the folks who can. but if theres any tiny pups that have fallen off and need new homes i would say yes please.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Well done (tu) love those photos lol
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

They tolerate such abuse!
Cheshire, UK
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Oh wow, now those are some root bound plants! Very well done for rescuing them and repotting them. They should be looking great in no time. :smile:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Indeed, you are a heroine, Liz, well done!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Thank you for the accolades, I thought you might find it interesting to see what can happen to these plants and how they have survived. It only remains to see if they can survive my treatment of them. I would be very pleased if the Trichocereus were to flower next year, to enable me to identify it. I'm not the worlds expert on Cacti and not all the ones I have, have flowered, so maybe practice will improve things.
Just one last item to show you. A Christmas Cactus that came with the others. It was a bit limp and yellow, when I got it, so I left it outside for the last few nights. As you can see the torrential rain we had did it lots of good, so it can stay out for as long as I have it. This is one plant I am hopeless with, so I need to pass it on.
IMG_0579.10001.jpg