Cactus ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
purzo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus ID please

Post by purzo »

I had an old plant for many years, long before I was actually interested in this hobby, unfortunately it eventually succumbed to a mealy bug infestation. Luckily I'd saved a couple of offsets and one has just flowered. I'm guessing it's an Echinopsis but I have no idea what species or hybrid, can anybody help?

Also is it normal for these flowers to collapse under their own weight? We went back out at 8:30pm to check and found the flower had opened but the next day the weight of the flower had twisted it on the stalk until it parted company with the body of the plant.

Thanks for any help.
P6301558 x 800.jpg
P6301551 x 800.jpg
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Re: Cactus ID please

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Hi Gary,

You're certainly right about it being an Echinopsis. I'd say its a spineless variety of Echinopsis oxygona, the flower being white makes me feel it isn't one of the many hybrids. But I'm certainly not the oracle.

I can help more with your second query, Echinopsis flowers are *very* short lived. Mine came in to flower around 9pm one day and was fading by the following evening. I don't think its particularly a weight issue but just down to the longevity of the flower. Some of the Echinopsis schick hybrid flowers are so large the plants are supplied with a brush to hold the flower up!over 10 inches in diameter is possible :eek:
Greg
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
majcka
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by majcka »

GregoryBulmer wrote:I can help more with your second query, Echinopsis flowers are *very* short lived. Mine came in to flower around 9pm one day and was fading by the following evening.
You had at least time to take a pic. I missed two of my subdenudata flower this year. It wasnt oppeden in the morning when I went to work, but was flowered off when I got back home. :sad:

Luckily the 3rd flower did it on the holiday, when I was home. :lol:
Maja
BCSS No. 50507

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier.
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Conrad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Conrad »

To me it looks like Echinopsis eyriesii, I think some include this with Oxygona anyway though :???: .

Cheers.
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Thanks for all the answers, it's good to have a name for my cactus at last.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants