Rummage at your peril

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Rummage at your peril

Post by Phil Hocking »

Whilst helping out on the branch stand at the Taunton Flower Show I was looking through sales plants behind the scenes, with a view to filling gaps on the sales table. Suddenly I was stuck fast to a little Tephrocactus sphaericus. There was no way I could get off it, with 4 or 5 barbed spines embedded in my finger I was completely stuck. Managing to detach one spine just resulted in getting stabbed by one or two more. This of course caused great hilarity and eventually the pad came off the plant with all the pulling. Luckily Barry had some staple removers in his van and used them to yank the pad off my finger. Good job we didn't put it out for sale as it could have been nasty if a member of the public had made contact with it, especially a child. As it turned out the worst accident we had at the front of the stand was a little girl's burst balloon.
stuck_1a.jpg
stuck_2a.jpg
stuck_3a.jpg
Photos courtesy of Chris Hayes, owner of the said plant. He offered me the plant but I declined. However, at home time I found it in my box, so it looks like I'm stuck with it. Thanks Chris.

We won a Large Gold Medal this year. I have a photo of our stand if anyone is interested.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Rummage at your peril

Post by Ospreywatcher »

Nice one and great photos too.

It's the hooked spines on some Mammillaria that I usually have the biggest problem with though the tiny bristles on Opuntia can be a bit irritating too. I am always very cautious with the larger spined plants!
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Phil
Ouch! that looks nasty,
I have a photo of our stand if anyone is interested
of course we do, picture please
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

I have had a look at the spines with a hand lens and surprisingly the barbs don't look very prominent, but I expect there are many of them distributed around the point. They certainly hang on tight. I must get a microscope some time. As a child I had a toy one (special offer via Weetabix) which was quite good in fact. I looked at Opuntia spines then and the barbs were impressive. This one takes the biscuit though.

Hooked spines often get caught in my woolly jumper so it's best to never be too far away from a pair of tweezers.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by delandmo »

Normally if I can't get the plant off after a couple of tries, I reach for the nearest plant label or tweezers and push in front of the barb. It usually does the trick.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

A rare glimpse of our stand when no one was standing in front of it
Taunton Flower Show 2013
Taunton Flower Show 2013
Somerset Phil
Sylvia
BCSS Member

Post by Sylvia »

Thanks for posting the picture Phil. Well done and a big thank you to everyone concerned with all the hard work put in to this event.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Very well presented, you deserve your award. As for Opuntias, you always learn the hard way, never handle them without some tweezers about.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Conrad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Conrad »

The stand looked amazing this year, and the sales table was excellent, I'll post some pictures of the plants I purchased when I get my camera working. Especially pleased to get hold of a Pelecyphora strobiliformis at a knockdown price! Also a pleasure to meet Phil and co.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Excellent stand - well done.

Now you know why I keep my few Opuntias on the top shelf..........