Updated seed lists

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by edds »

They reckon they'll have fresh stocks of Aloe polyphylla in February/March next year too.

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_80 ... polyphylla

At only 5 seeds in a pack though it might be cheaper elsewhere!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Succulenta has also updated its seed list. See https://succulenta.nl/zaadlijst/

The list is open to anyone, but members of Succulenta will get the first chance of ordering (and they get a discount). So if you are not a member, it might be hard to get your hands on some of the choice species on the list. Mesembs enthousiasts might like to see Muiria, Dactylopsis and Phyllobolus being offered as you don't see those often on a list anywhere (but maybe on the MSG seed lists).
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

A very extensive seed list, indeed.
I am interested to know the difference between how the French and Dutch societies organise their lists and how the British Society does. Are these continental lists semi-commercial or professionally administered, for example? Both are significantly larger than the BCSS list, but the seeds are also more expensive. I’ve not ordered from Succulenta , but the seeds I had last year from ADBLPS gave excellent germination rates.
Please don’t take this as a dig against the BCSS list, I like cheaper and there is always plenty for me to choose from. I’m new to looking at the continental lists and am amazed how long they are.
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

That is an excellent list Aiko, thank you for the link
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Aiko wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:24 pm It appears the seed list of Cactus-Aventures is updated.

I have no experience with Cactus-Aventures (the list and the magazine), so I do not know if it is a reliable seed source.

Truth be told, I do find the seed list highly unaccessible. No payment through paypal possible (we don't all have credit cards), bank transfer is high (IBAN should make this 0 within EU...!) and postal charges are even sky high. And the website itself is a pain to load and to read through or flip through. On top of it all, it lists about half of the mentioned species as 'sold out'. What is the use of that, I wonder? If it used to be on the list previous years but is not there for 2014, then just do not mention it! Now I have to find my way through lot's of 'junk', and I drool over Bulbine vitrea seeds that apparently are not available anymore.

Put that all together, and it is absolutely not an incentive for me to place an order there. But maybe others have some positive feedback that is actually based on experience?
They do have Paypal now :)
Haven't ordered from them.
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

I haven't seen Audissou's seed list mentioned here yet. I stumbled onto it while looking for links to some of his publications.
Last update last November.

http://jean-andre.audissou.pagesperso-orange.fr/
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Kees wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:00 pm I haven't seen Audissou's seed list mentioned here yet. I stumbled onto it while looking for links to some of his publications.
Last update last November.
http://jean-andre.audissou.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Audissou issues a number of updates to his list throughout the year. His Haworthia seed is superb but the prices are discouraging, especially when you consider the S&H costs that cannot be diluted on a large(ish) order, such as the one you would place if he only made one or two yearly updates.

That said, the service is superb and the list is mouth-watering (for those into the type of plants he sells).
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Also Ladislav Fischer from the Czech Republic has updated his list earlier today. Mostly Acanthocalycium, Lobivia, Mediolobivia, Weingartia and Sulcorebutia, but also some other Southern American species. As I am getting more and more into hardy cacti, I could not resist the spiney Acanthocalycium and spiney Lobivias that can cope -10C.

You can request his list via email. If you don't have his email, send me a private message and I can send it over to you. I don't know if it is appropriate to put it on this forum directly.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Succseed in Sweden has updated the seed list. See: www.succseed.com/en/

As always some interesting things. Yavia cryptocarpa is on the list, for those who would like to give it a try.