Sclerocactus - to freeze & thaw or not to freeze & thaw

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MaciejW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY

Re: Sclerocactus - to freeze & thaw or not to freeze & thaw

Post by MaciejW »

Phil_SK wrote:Have you handled conc sulfuric before? If you haven't, I'd advise you not to.
no I haven't - so probably will not do it this time either. Thank you!
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Rob »

Sow them during a Thunderstorm!

Not at all sure where that gem was given to me, I think it refers to someone being at Brack's place during a monumental storm and then seeing loads of Sclero/Pedi seedlings germinate within hours.

Cant remember who told me or even if they were the original observer.
Perhaps someone else hereabouts knows the tale better.

Cheers!
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Rob wrote:Sow them during a Thunderstorm!

Not at all sure where that gem was given to me, I think it refers to someone being at Brack's place during a monumental storm and then seeing loads of Sclero/Pedi seedlings germinate within hours.

Cheers!
Makes more sense than all the freeze/thaw stuff. These are late summer germinators, both immediately after ripening if they get lucky with a thunderstorm, or in later years if necessary. Germinating in spring in their dry summer snowy winter habitat climate would be suicide. Having taken all that on board, I still start them in spring since my summers are far from fatal for a baby Pediocactus. Sclerocactus should do even better, being adapted to higher temperatures than Pediocactus, but I don't have so much experience with them.
Cheshire, UK
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Cheers!
There was a short piece about this on page 231-232 of the December 2012 CactusWorld Journal

Cheers
Al
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Cheers!
Yes that was me :wink:

The seeds had been sown for quite some time with limited or no success, but one day in August there was a massive thunderstorm, and it's this that prompted germination en masse. Steven was quite surprised, and delighted of course. My theory was that it's not just the availability of water itself that encouraged the seeds to germinate, but the allround combination of atmospheric conditions that give rise to a thunderstorm ie pressure, temperature, humidity, perhaps even static charge.

Obviously desert plants whose seeds evolve to take advantage of thunderstorms will have a higher chance of survival than those that do not.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

The seeds had been sown for quite some time with limited or no success, but one day in August there was a massive thunderstorm, and it's this that prompted germination en masse. Steven was quite surprised, and delighted of course. My theory was that it's not just the availability of water itself that encouraged the seeds to germinate, but the allround combination of atmospheric conditions that give rise to a thunderstorm ie pressure, temperature, humidity, perhaps even static charge.

Obviously desert plants whose seeds evolve to take advantage of thunderstorms will have a higher chance of survival than those that do not.[/quote]

Right, thunderstorm might prove a bit too difficult to be arranged for, but I can always try! :wink:
T_B
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by T_B »

gerald wrote: The seeds had been sown for quite some time with limited or no success, but one day in August there was a massive thunderstorm, and it's this that prompted germination en masse. Steven was quite surprised, and delighted of course. My theory was that it's not just the availability of water itself that encouraged the seeds to germinate, but the allround combination of atmospheric conditions that give rise to a thunderstorm ie pressure, temperature, humidity, perhaps even static charge.

Obviously desert plants whose seeds evolve to take advantage of thunderstorms will have a higher chance of survival than those that do not.
Perhaps someone should try wiring up some seeds and zapping them lightly to see if they germinate? :lol:
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Aha, so it was probably something I read rather than was told!

See Al, we do read it all, it just doesn't all sink in properly! (into my poor braincell at least)

Cheers
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

T_B wrote: Perhaps someone should try wiring up some seeds and zapping them lightly to see if they germinate? :lol:
You know that's not that bad an idea! A little far fetched perhaps :wink: but why not indeed put seed pots outside during a thunderstorm next summer, under some cloth to disperse large raindrops?
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

There is a wonderful site that congregates the sowing experiments of several growers:
http://www.semeurs-de-cactus.fr/

If you can read french, there's a lot to be learned there. For Sclerocacti, the highest success rate has been achieved by soaking the seeds in depilatory cream for 10 minutes and then sowing them in bags. Beats handling concentrated acids every day. ;)
http://www.semeurs-de-cactus.fr/public/ ... re/key/107
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener