succulent bonsai

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: succulent bonsai

Post by JaneO »

Thanks Colin and all. I personally love Tina's plant regardless of blue pot and I, too, would give it a good home! I was informed that it is easier to do outside bonsai rather than indoor? Don't know if that is true but for us, we are stuck with indoor mostly. I want to attempt an aeonium but would It be cheating simply to insert new cutting in small pot and wait and see? And gradually cut it into shape? Not sure that this would be classed as bonsai at all. Thanks Jane
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I have to admit to having a few plants in bonsai pots but none of them have had any training done.
web-0190.jpg
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Jane O wrote:Thanks Colin and all. I personally love Tina's plant regardless of blue pot and I, too, would give it a good home! I was informed that it is easier to do outside bonsai rather than indoor? Don't know if that is true but for us, we are stuck with indoor mostly. I want to attempt an aeonium but would It be cheating simply to insert new cutting in small pot and wait and see? And gradually cut it into shape? Not sure that this would be classed as bonsai at all. Thanks Jane
Jane, woody stemmed aeoniums don't need much care to get them to look bonsai'd. I trim the roots of rooted cuttings, pop them into shallow pots, and bob's your uncle! Look back at my first pic of A. castello-paivae which is little more than a year-old rooted cutting. Once flowering's over it'll need some stem pruning to get it back into a good shape. The smaller-leaved spp. are best, such as A. haworthii, decorum, sedifolium, smithii, etc. I've not yet tried A. leucoblepharum from The Yemen, but after it appears on the show bench this Friday I'll take some cuttings, 'cos this is well-branched, has small rosettes and a knarled, woody stem - just ideal, with a lovely dark-red mid stripe to the leaves. Just the bees knees.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I tend to use Bonsai pots for appropriate plants rather than trying to train them Bonsai style.

Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Jim_Mercer wrote:I have to admit to having a few plants in bonsai pots but none of them have had any training done.
Hi Jim,

That looks great.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Herts Mike wrote:I tend to use Bonsai pots for appropriate plants rather than trying to train them Bonsai style.
Hi Mike,

These look great, but how's about a bit of stem training or pruning for the pelargoniums?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

They do get pruned Colin. I'll take some pics.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Herts Mike wrote:They do get pruned Colin. I'll take some pics.
Excellent Mike. Whoops, sorry, think I sent a similar reply twice.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I'm not sure you can bonsai an Adromischus so perhaps I shall have to find something else to put in this pot...
web-3646.jpg
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

I like that Jim. Nice colour match.