succulent bonsai

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: succulent bonsai

Post by Tina »

Hi jim
I was looking at my variegated plant of this thinking the same thing.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tina wrote:I was looking at my variegated plant of this thinking the same thing.
The pot I am going to use did contain a variegated one but it insisted in growing down which isn't what I want so I am doing a bit of a swap. It may just be the variegated clone that I have but my other plants of it all show the same growth pattern.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Sorry about the plastic pot but this is how my variegated portulacaria afra seem to want to grow
Variegated Portulacaria afra
Variegated Portulacaria afra
My green plants all seem to grow upright so this one is going to get the bonsai pot
web-0199.jpg
Removing the plant from its pot and giving it a bit of a shake to remove some of the existing soil resulted in a rootball that would fit in the bonsai pot,
web-0201.jpg
I did trim the roots a bit before putting the pant into the pot with some fresh compost - my usual mix of B&Q multi-purpose compost, Tesco cat litter and chick grit. Next job is to trim unwanted branches to reveal a bit of the trunk.
web-0206.jpg
Got a few more tools for cutting/trimming and removing soil from roots - none of them true bonsai tools
web-0210.jpg
I wouldn't call this a finished plant but this is as far as I took the pruning today
web-0213.jpg
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

Hi Jim/Tina,

Is this the same plant you are discussing?
Attachments
004.JPG
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Jim_Mercer wrote:Sorry about the plastic pot but this is how my variegated portulacaria afra seem to want to grow

My green plants all seem to grow upright so this one is going to get the bonsai pot

Removing the plant from its pot and giving it a bit of a shake to remove some of the existing soil resulted in a rootball that would fit in the bonsai pot,

I did trim the roots a bit before putting the pant into the pot with some fresh compost - my usual mix of B&Q multi-purpose compost, Tesco cat litter and chick grit. Next job is to trim unwanted branches to reveal a bit of the trunk.

Got a few more tools for cutting/trimming and removing soil from roots - none of them true bonsai tools

I wouldn't call this a finished plant but this is as far as I took the pruning today
Excellent tutorial on bonsai technique - many thanks for that.

BTW, in my experience, P. afra is an erect growing shrub.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Colin Walker wrote:BTW, in my experience, P. afra is an erect growing shrub.
I agree - this specimen, seen NW of Grahamstown, would certainly not fit in a bonsai pot :wink:
Picture1.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
Here's my plant in a 4" pot, not sure how you would trim it for a bonsai style, I can't see how bonsai growers see the shape even after Graham walker did a very good talk on the subject.
Where is graham ??
portulacea  7_14.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tina wrote:I can't see how bonsai growers see the shape even after Graham walker did a very good talk on the subject.
Some of them start with bigger plants http://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/2012/08 ... aria-afra/

Looks like I will have to find another variegated plant as Jane and Tina have got plants that have "normal" growth but a quick search via google does find that I am not alone in having a plant that prefers to grow down http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspo ... trate.html
lzrddr
Registered Guest

Post by lzrddr »

Here's my little succulent bonsai... Tylecodon wallichii in a very shallow but super heavy concrete pot a few days ago... middle of its 'bloom glory'.
Tylecodon wallichii in shade in full bloom 7-14.jpg
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

The bright yellow flowers on your glorious Tylecodon, which must be about a metre across, reveal that it is T. cacaloides, rather than T. wallichii.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble