succulent bonsai

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

succulent bonsai

Post by Colin Walker »

I'm not only into growing my plants in interesting or attractive pots, but I'm now also into succulent bonsai. This all started when I was a speaker at the CSSA Eastern Cactus Convention in Boston two years ago. In the evening Susan Amoy ran a workshop on succulent bonsai and I became hooked.

Here's my first attempt. This is Aeonium castello-paivae from La Gomera in The Canary Islands. Its twiggy twisted stem already has a natural bonsai look. BUT, as usual with bonsai, when the plant flowers or even fruits, the flower spike or infructescence is totally out of proportion with the rest of the plant. Once flowering is over I'll prune the plant and it'll look well-proportioned again.
Aeonium castello-paivae bonsai.jpg
Aeonium castello-paivae bonsai.jpg (197.26 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Here's Sedum dendroideum 'Colossus'. This again is ideal for bonsai because it naturally has a tree-like appearance, hence it's name. I've now a small collection of this cv. in a range of different pots.
Sedum 'Colossus' bonsai.jpg
Sedum 'Colossus' bonsai.jpg (207.12 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Last edited by Colin Walker on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: succulent bonsai

Post by Herts Mike »

I'm into this too.

It's a good subject. Succulent Pelargoniums lend themselves to it very well.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Herts Mike wrote:I'm into this too.

It's a good subject. Succulent Pelargoniums lend themselves to it very well.
Yep Mike, I agree, but my collection of succulent Geraniaceae is currently depleted. :sad:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

They look good.

I think many succulents are good for this and they have the advantage over 'normal' bonsai in that the watering isn't crucial - at least that is how I justify the extreme neglect I subject some of my poor plants to.

I have a Crassula sarcocaulis that I trained 'root over rock' and it was looking quite nice until my badgers decided they objected to it. :smile: Still, I ended up with lots of cutting material, just that it was scattered about the garden.

I think Sedum frutescens would be a great subject also - that flaky bark is very attractive.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Paul in Essex wrote:They look good.

I think many succulents are good for this and they have the advantage over 'normal' bonsai in that the watering isn't crucial - at least that is how I justify the extreme neglect I subject some of my poor plants to.

I have a Crassula sarcocaulis that I trained 'root over rock' and it was looking quite nice until my badgers decided they objected to it. :smile: Still, I ended up with lots of cutting material, just that it was scattered about the garden.

I think Sedum frutescens would be a great subject also - that flaky bark is very attractive.
Hi Paul, you're right, the Mexican tree sedums are great, although I've not used these as yet myself. Crassula ovata is another obvious choice and one I'm working with; I've got several different forms/cvs. Susan Amoy did really great things with Adenium. Tina's trying Pseudobombax.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

A good thread - thanks, Colin! (tu) (tu)

You have some well-behaved plants, thanks for sharing... tho I see what you mean about that Aeonium :???: I was thinking of bonsai-ing my A.haworthii.

My attempts so far are: Crassula ovata 'Hummel's Sunset', ditto variegated form with striped leaves; Crassula arborescens (thankyou Ralph M (tu) ). Some Adromischus look bonsai-ish without needing much training, especially those with tuberous roots (or are they stems :???: ) such as A.schuldtianus, A.trigynus, several A.marianiae forms.

I failed miserably in my attempts to bonsai mesembs, such as Trichodiademas and Mestoklema tuberosum :cry: tho I've seen some splendid caudexes at MSG Events. Another possibility is Othonna euphorbioides, tho I had trouble with these in shallow containers, they have a lot of roots when active.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Lindsey wrote:A good thread - thanks, Colin! (tu) (tu)

You have some well-behaved plants, thanks for sharing... tho I see what you mean about that Aeonium :???: I was thinking of bonsai-ing my A.haworthii.

My attempts so far are: Crassula ovata 'Hummel's Sunset', ditto variegated form with striped leaves; Crassula arborescens (thankyou Ralph M (tu) ). Some Adromischus look bonsai-ish without needing much training, especially those with tuberous roots (or are they stems :???: ) such as A.schuldtianus, A.trigynus, several A.marianiae forms.

I failed miserably in my attempts to bonsai mesembs, such as Trichodiademas and Mestoklema tuberosum :cry: tho I've seen some splendid caudexes at MSG Events. Another possibility is Othonna euphorbioides, tho I had trouble with these in shallow containers, they have a lot of roots when active.
Hi Lindsey,

IMHO I think Crassulaceae are ideal subjects for bonsai. Root pruning is just so easy. Aeonium is indeed a good genus for this, but my experience is limited thus far, but I have great plans for when I've got more time. I have a few tatty Adromischus and since you've mentioned this genus I'll do some work on these. I don't grow mesembs, bonsai'd or otherwise. Some othonnas should be good too I'd guess, but again I've no personal experience as yet. A great plant but for me not yet properly bonsai'd is Fockea and tuberous rooted euphorbias look good with the tubers raised above ground. So, there are a few other ideas.

Anyone tried to bonsai any cacti? I haven't personally.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

very cute
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

There are plenty of bonsai'd succulents in our shows. Pseudo-caudiciforms or underground tubers planted at an unnatural soil level. Not sure their growers are in the correct society or shows though, since some of the societies and forums below would seem more appropriate place for them? :eek: :grin:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ALOINO ... neesii.htm

http://swindon-bonsai.co.uk/2013/06/02/ ... culents-2/

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9376 ... ent-bonsai

http://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/succulent_bonsai

One of the links above also suggests the tuberous rooted Eriosyce aerocarpa would make a good bonsai. God help us if our shows ever consider planting cacti at the incorrect soil depth is correct cultivation, something that seems to have evaded the judges in classes for Other Succulents!

We'll be giving extra marks next for fancy pots or containers like the Americans do and become a pottery show! Does the President know something we don't and is planting his tea pots ready for the next National and bonsai-ing his plants? :lol:
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Colin Walker wrote:...............
Anyone tried to bonsai any cacti? I haven't personally.
Colin, I have a greenhouse of accidentally 'Bonsai'd' cacti, something to do with my father's frugal watering regime and the concrete like nature of ten year old peat compost but I don't think that answers your question.
I should do some photographs of this year's new spines and body colours contrasting with last years stunted growth, it will be a bit like those posters the RSPCA publish of recovering neglected or abused animals.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554