succulent bonsai

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: succulent bonsai

Post by Colin Walker »

Jim_Mercer wrote:I'm not sure you can bonsai an Adromischus so perhaps I shall have to find something else to put in this pot...
Hi Jim,

Looks great. I especially like the pot. :wink:

My Adromischus collection is down to about half a dozen very tatty pots, but they will be rejuvenated and the odd one, notably A. schuldtianus, given a decent pot. I've got two plants that sprawl over the edge of pots and look great in hanging pots. None of these are true bonsai, yet.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Bonsai pots lend themselves really well for Stapeliads-

This is a plastic Bonsai "trainer" pot which is so much cheaper and still looks good -

Avonia papyraceae in a taller Bonsai pot-

JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

I'm going to get in quick to offer that Avonia a good home in case Colin decides to do likewise. It is absolutely gorgeous.
Jane
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

He can ask all he wants Jane........
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

I know Colin doesn't like blue but I think it works OK with this Crassula-

Anacampseros vanthielii

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

That's a lovely crassula and I like blue.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Herts Mike wrote:I know Colin doesn't like blue but I think it works OK with this Crassula-

Anacampseros vanthielii
Hi Mike,

I know I said I don't do blue pots, but actually that works well for the Crassula. I'll let Jane have first pick of the Avonia. :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Lovely plants, lovely pots! Congratulations to all growers :notwo:

I buy my pots for bonsai-ing from charity shops :cool:

I keep forgetting to mention, that my understanding of the bonsai concept is a miniature tree (or other mature plant), in a shallow container, which has been trained by regular pruning etc. to look completely "to scale" so that the leaves are also miniaturized. (I believe this is achieved for deciduous trees each year by removing the naturally produced leaves, after which the bonsai tree has a second attempt with much smaller leaves, but I've not researched this).
Difficult to do this for succulent plants, I know, but again this is where an Adromischus or a small-leaved Crassula can look convincing to those not in the secret.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Jim_Mercer wrote:I'm not sure you can bonsai an Adromischus so perhaps I shall have to find something else to put in this pot...
Jim.....remove the lower leaves to expose the stems. It will look much better like that (IMO).
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I think this Portulacaria afra has the potential to be bonsaid so it will be getting a bit of a chop tomorrow as it will need to lose at least half of its roots to fit the pot I have found for it (same design as the adromischus is in but bigger). I hope that removing a lot of the stems may reveal something more like a tree...
web-3748.jpg