Cacti of Northern Chile

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Cacti of Northern Chile

Post by RICHAUD »

Islaya islayensis growing south Peru photografied during a travel with Brian Bates
Islaya islayensis sud Atico.jpg
Islaya islayensis sud Atico.jpg (77.58 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by gerald »

Small growing, real-deal drought resistant cacti are what I like the most so these Eriosyce fit the bill perfectly. Seeds aren't really an option for me at present, I prefer 2-3 year old plants if at all possible, anybody please feel free to pm me with your offers (tu)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I would not describe all Islaya's as small growing, as Richaud's picture shows. Anymore than Neoporteria's or Horridocactus, both now lumped in Eriosyce. I think in some instances Islaya's can get up to 20cm high or taller?

When you cross the border from Chile into Peru the Atacama desert changes it's name to the Clemesi and the Camanchaca mist is then called the Guara, but they are simply a continuation of the same arid coast, just the national nomenclature changed for them.

If you like what the Germans call "earth cacti", those that are low to the ground and often sink into it in the dry season it is the Thelocephala section of Eriosyce (those related to napina, odierii and esmeraldana) which are the low growing ones.

Don't suppose you have any spare E. napina ssp. llanensis do you Dan, that's one I never seem successful from seed?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

DaveW wrote:Don't suppose you have any spare E. napina ssp. llanensis do you Dan, that's one I never seem successful from seed?
I'm not familiar with that name. I had a bit of a google for more information though and it seems that JA19 is E. napina ssp. llanensis, rather than E. napina ssp. aerocarpa? If that's the case, then I bought some JA19 recently and they're ready to sow whenever I feel like it. I'll let you know how I get on with those.

From my most recent sowing, I've got lots of E. napina ssp. challensis, ssp. lembckei, v. spinosior and v. duripulpa as well as a number of different E. krausii forms, and E. tenebrica. :razz: Quite a few different earth cacti. :wink:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Hi Dan,

I said in a post to the Forum in 2011:-

"There were two more "Thelocephala's" described recently by Ingrid Schaub and Ricardo Keim in Cactus & Co. Like most new "Thelocephalas" they are lumped under napina. Both have been distributed as seed by Juan Acosta in the past, though not under the new names.

E. napina ssp. pajonalensis (JA133)

E. napina ssp. llanensis (JA541)"

If you scroll right down near the bottom of this link there are photos of both JA133 and JA541 before the plants were named, by "Pescaomarino", one of the pseudonyms along with "Spiniflores" Juan Acosta used to post under.

http://www.suculentas.es/phpBB3/viewtop ... =20&t=8684

For the "earth cacti" fans try this slide show:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cactushorr ... otostream/
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Jens
BCSS Member

Post by Jens »

Nice thread guys.
Here is a north Chilean cactus (cultivated plants ex De Herdt seeds from different sources)
Attachments
Eriosyce recondita (vexata deH) 2012 Juno23-3.jpg
Eriosyce recondita (Nc. vexata) Cerro Moreno 2014 Juno09.jpg
Jens
BCSS Member

Post by Jens »

Growing even more northerly (and more arid)
E. iquiquensis
Eriosyce recondita ssp. iquiquensis (Nc. residua HH) 2011 Juno15-4.jpg
Eriosyce recondita ssp. iquiquensis FR712 (Py. saxifragus) 2013 Juno15-6.jpg
Eriosyce recondita ssp. iquiquensis (Nc. aricensis) FR268 2012 Juli05-4.jpg
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

While we are talking about cacti of Northern Chile, does anyone know if E. taltalensis ssp paucicostata is self fertile.
The reason I ask is, this morning while looking at a second flush of flowers on this plant, I noticed 2 large fruit underneath but I cannot remember another Eriosyce in flower when this plant flowered earlier in the year.

Ray
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

None of the species discussed here is typically self-fertile, but they commonly form prominent empty fruit without pollination. They also cross with just about anything with a remotely similar name. So maybe you'll find some seed in the fruit when it comes loose after a few months, but don't trust what it will grow into.
Cheshire, UK
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Thanks Iann.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.