Label printer - recommendations?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MaciejW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY

Label printer - recommendations?

Post by MaciejW »

Hello,

I decided to invest in thermal label printer. Something not expensive that would allow me to use computer for typing in text and then printing on a self adhesive tape to stick on a plastic labels. Ideally, without a need for extra power source like batteries.
I realise that Brother make is used by many on this forum, but simply by looking these up online, it is hard to know which one would be the best for the job.
Any specific recommendations?
Maciej
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Label printer - recommendations?

Post by Carl »

Whatever you choose make sure to check the Brother UK current promotions page you can get some decent cash back on certain models if you buy from an authorised dealer.

http://www.brother.co.uk/latest-promoti ... promotions

I got a Brother pt-2730vp for just over £20 something after £50 cash back from Brother a few years ago

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

You can use a laser printer which support 200gr paper sheet (I have a samsung XpressM2835DW 150 € )
And at printack (http://www.printack.com/products_line.html) you have TF190-A4 :it's A4 sheet 190 gr / M2 you can print and then cut with a pair of scissors
I have labels printed 15 years ago and no problem
The only problem they sale only by 100 sheet
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I use a P-Touch 2430PC, which are no longer new production but are still out there, fairly cheap. O, and buy compatible tapes, Brother's are very expensive.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Carl wrote:Whatever you choose make sure to check the Brother UK current promotions page you can get some decent cash back on certain models if you buy from an authorised dealer.
Last year I got a Brother 2730VP from an Amazon lightning deal and was also able to get cash back from Brother as Brother accepted Amazon (but not Amazon marketplace dealers) for their offer. Result one expensive printer became a more reasonable price.

I would not recommend their basic handheld printers, the first of their printers I bought was the Gardener's model GL200 - nothing wrong with the labels just difficult to produce using the small screen and awkward menu system. Next one I got was the 2420PC which only works when attached to PC but much easier to create labels and could even use a spreadsheet to keep plant details then use some of the cells to print labels. The 2730VP sort of replaces both of them as it can be used standalone but can also connect to PC. The most important thing is to make sure you use the TZ laminated tape - the 12mm wide tape fits neatly on most plastic plant labels.
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Thanks guys. Every bit of your personal experience much appreciated.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

I have the p-touch GL - H105 which for me is brilliant. It is handheld which I find much easier than my previous one that you had to use through the computer.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Thanks for info re labels Richaud. I'm also using laser printer but on rather thin (120 gm/m2) Avery Zweckform plastic sheets. I like the freedom of writing a bunch of words on 3-4 cm2 despite the fact that I have to cut the labels after printing. And (maybe) a tip for you: don't use color printer, colors fade rather fast.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

AnTTun wrote:colors fade rather fast.
Indeed. Red is the first colour to go under influence of sunlight, then yellow soon after. Blue and black will remain visible for a long time.
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Does anybody could shed some light on what is a real difference between Brother P-Touch 2430PC and 1230PC? Apart from the name of course and, if following logic the latter is older.