Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Paul in Essex »

NorfolkExotics wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:46 pm A very interesting offset I erm... 'liberated' from an absolute bohemoth growing on the Spanish Mediterranean coast. The plant in question was one of the floppy leaved 'Americana'/'Salmiana angustifolia' marginata plants. It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that they are actually variegated forms of A. Mapisaga, a theory which would certainly explain the disparity in hardiness between such plants and the actual Americana marginata. The pictured plant has, interestingly, been tougher in comparison to my normal variegated plant aside from being slower growing (a given due to having less chlorophyll).
This is something that has cropped up before on one of the American forums. The huge curly leaved monsters would be a good candidate for mapisaga.

Re. variability in Agave montana, when you see it in habitat the variation is astonishing. Here is a page on my blog from when I last visited La Peña and I made a point of taking pics of all different looking plants. You have to scroll down a bit to get to the montana.

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/Mexicoweb2012/9th.htm

And then when you add Agave gentryi into the equation the situation just gets more complicated. Some populations of gentryi could easily be mistaken for montana.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

Amazing pictures :grin: I have read all of your Mexico reports before and the one from 2014 with the mitis X montana hybrids was particularly interesting (tu)
Speaking of A. gentryi and montana, my RPS sourced montana seedlings are a varied bunch. Only one seems to show typical montana characteristics (top left). The others dont have the same leaf texture so gentryi may be involved, although identification obviously won't be certain until they get bigger.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.89 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Agaves, pictures, im in :lol:

Here's a few from my gravel bed which resembles more like a gravel slide, but it will improve.

My favourite Parryi 1684
IMG_20201115_095736_115.jpg
IMG_20201115_095736_115.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Agave Ovatifolia, I am a little obsessed with these. Would love a variegated one, but out of my price range for now. This is called Vanzie, just a variation with a name for marketing. Good looker.
IMG_20210131_145322_621.jpg
Blue Brian, doing very well in no soil.
IMG_20200923_192146_651.jpg
Agave parryi truncata, maybe Huntington? Overwintering in the greenhouse, but will plant this year.
IMG_20201027_185512_336.jpg
Smaller Montana in part shade, which gives it that beautiful colour.
IMG_20200616_205712_914.jpg
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Little Leopoldii Hammertime
IMG_20201201_184656_577.jpg
My Ovatifolia, which is growing well in the bed
IMG_20200919_084756_785.jpg
Growing on my Parrasana in a pot before placing outside
IMG_20201016_090417_675.jpg
My bigger Montana, 👑 King of the bed
IMG_20200624_223525_404.jpg
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Wayne - some beautiful plants there!

NorfolkExotics wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:51 pm Amazing pictures :grin: I have read all of your Mexico reports before and the one from 2014 with the mitis X montana hybrids was particularly interesting (tu)
Speaking of A. gentryi and montana, my RPS sourced montana seedlings are a varied bunch. Only one seems to show typical montana characteristics (top left). The others dont have the same leaf texture so gentryi may be involved, although identification obviously won't be certain until they get bigger.

image.jpeg
Yes, the Agave montana x mitis is a stonking plant. Grows like crazy, never grown one that is so fast. talk about hybrid vigour. I covered it with a blanket although I suspect it will be fine with those genes.

Here is a pic from October last, for scale that is now approx 1m across.
montanaxmitisoct2010.jpg
One lot of montana seed ended up inexplicably weird. Over half the plants that came up were hybrid of some sort - but not gentryi. As they get older the plants get quite silvery and glaucous and also offset quite a bit. The nearest candidate, as the moth flies, was about 1500m below on the plains at the base of the mountain where Agave montana lives. A sort of hybrid-y thing that isn't anything in itself other than possibly Agave americana ssp protamericana with maybe a dash of scabra. Anyway these hybrids from the seed are quite nice in themselves, whatever they are. I have one planted out that is doing quite well. No pics unfortunately.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Blue Ocean. Sold as a Montana variant but more like Gentryi 👍 Good looking Agave
DSC03816.jpg

Agave Blue Glow, has to be placed in the evening sun 🌆
IMG_20200704_181003_077.jpg
Nowhere near hardy, but great again in the evening sun, a real St.Tropez of a Agave 😎
IMG_20200916_182034_954.jpg

Agave Chapiensis
DSC09788.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

All looking really lovely and such good sizes, some great photos Wayne love the staging.

The Ovatifolia's and blue Brians look great Norfolk exotics, thanks for posting.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Agave guadalajarana is a favourite. Powder blue leaves and maroon spines are a great combination.
37B58197-5F38-4F00-9C9D-E2C8B62FDF21.jpeg
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

How confident are you in the label, Mike? Only it doesn't look like what I have in my head as guadalajarana, which has considerably mammilate teeth.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Fairly happy Paul. It was Mesa Garden seed which is usually reliable.