Tesco cat litter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Carl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Tesco cat litter

Post by Carl »

Phil_SK wrote:Tesco were supposed to be cutting 30% of its lines this year. I'm not sure if it's happened already and the litter's safe or if it's still at risk. Does anybody on the inside know?
Well the amount us and the bonsai lot buy I can't see them taking it off the shelves surely? I keep meaning to pop into Pet's at Home and invest in a 30l bag, their particle size seems much larger and I think it would be an excellent addition to my epiphyte mix in fact If it's any good I might swap out the Perlite for it as I'm struggling trying to work out what's Mealybug and what's Perlite... :roll:

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by AllanA »

Is everyone using Sanicat or Sophisticat and what is the difference if any?
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Carl
BCSS Member

Post by Carl »

I got a friend to pick a bag up the other day (Tesco is on the other side of the Island and I don't drive...) and it appears that they have updated the packaging again it now looks like this:
2016-03-25 18.57.57.jpg

although it's exactly the same product we all know and love, ready for some seed sowing tomorrow :wink:

BCSS 50189
Greenlarry
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Greenlarry »

I tried a cat litter, ordinary fullers earth but I found that when it got wet it turned to sticky clay. Also it seemed to retard growth of plants that I used it with. Either that or it was the dodgy compost I was using at the time. But I definitely stopped using that cat litter. I thought its meant to stay firm.
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Carl
BCSS Member

Re: RE: Re: Tesco cat litter

Post by Carl »

Greenlarry wrote:I tried a cat litter, ordinary fullers earth but I found that when it got wet it turned to sticky clay. Also it seemed to retard growth of plants that I used it with. Either that or it was the dodgy compost I was using at the time. But I definitely stopped using that cat litter. I thought its meant to stay firm.
Yeah that's the wrong cat litter, fullers earth just disintegrates almost immediately in contact with water.

The cat litter pictured above from Tesco and the one on the previous page "sophisticat pink" are forms of calcined clay which look like fine grade gravel even when wet.

Edit*

Here's a photo after watering
2016-03-25 19.46.13.jpg

BCSS 50189
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

It seems Tesco do a variety of cat litters, most are unsuitable for plants, which is why it is constantly repeated on this forum make sure you get the correct one for plants. As I recall in the past their cheapest was shredded paper, another was the "fullers earth" type "clumping cat litter" that went claggy and the the low dust baked clay one suitable for plants.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... 4294793660

As Carl says this seems to be this one you want:-

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =265235247

Though there are other brands that are similar, but make sure they are the red baked clay type.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Greenlarry
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: RE: Re: Tesco cat litter

Post by Greenlarry »

Carl wrote:
Greenlarry wrote:I tried a cat litter, ordinary fullers earth but I found that when it got wet it turned to sticky clay. Also it seemed to retard growth of plants that I used it with. Either that or it was the dodgy compost I was using at the time. But I definitely stopped using that cat litter. I thought its meant to stay firm.
Yeah that's the wrong cat litter, fullers earth just disintegrates almost immediately in contact with water.

The cat litter pictured above from Tesco and the one on the previous page "sophisticat pink" are forms of calcined clay which look like fine grade gravel even when wet.

Edit*

Here's a photo after watering
2016-03-25 19.46.13.jpg
Thanks for that (tu)
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!