Schlumbergera

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
uzbeck
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Schlumbergera

Post by uzbeck »

It's that time of year again! The "Christmas" cactus repay in spades being rescued from DIY stores (or garden centre for one). As the greenhouse is too bright and dry these reside in my conservatory. It is a joy seeing them every morning.
Campinas Brasil?
Campinas Brasil?
Golden Sun?
Golden Sun?
No id
No id
Novembro Brasil?
Novembro Brasil?
Samba Brasil?
Samba Brasil?
Full house (for the moment)
Full house (for the moment)
All came without names and apart from Golden Sun I believe that the others were supplied by the nursery Rosa-Danica and the names came from their web pages. If anybody has an alternative name for any of these I would be glad to hear it
kamos
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Schlumbergera

Post by kamos »

Wow! Those are all spectacular.! Thanks for posting.
Neal
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Yes, these are brilliant and really brighten these rather dull autumn days, thank you!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

WOW! such BEAUTIFUL flowers :-) You have a wonderful collection of Schlumbergera :-) Thanks for sharing uzbeck :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

I'm sure they won't match those but Lidl have 2 for £3 on Thursday
I have a white one flowering now that I rescued from Wilko for 50p :)
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

I would be interested if there is an expert on the forum who could qualify if the hybrids bought from Lidl, Wilko etc are true Schlumbergera? I know they are cross pollinated between Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus. My understanding was that it was only very old Schlumbergera that were true and that these specimens carry a big premium in price, and change hands at high prices for even a tiny uprooted cutting. Is there a reliable means of identification? Could someone post a true example and then some hybrids? Having jumped this thread, I honestly love the photos posted and particularly like the yellow one.
Thanks Jane
uzbeck
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by uzbeck »

Jane,
I am no expert but I think what you are asking for is not easy - if possible. I too would be interested if it could be done.

Have a look at the following site for some background.

http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_les_c ... e_noel.htm

Peter
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

Very interesting article
I guess mine will remain labelled as simply Schlumbergera with no species name :)
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

Jane O wrote:My understanding was that it was only very old Schlumbergera that were true
I have never heard that before. As far as I know, all the ancestors of today's Christmas and Thanksgiving cacti are Schlumbergera, so why should not the hybrids be Schlumbergera as well?
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Peter,
Thanks. Very interesting article. Not definitive by any means but certainly goes some way towards my uncertainty. I cannot help but feel if these so called Schlumbergera sold in Lidl, Wilko, Homebase to name a few, were the real deal they would not be so cheap or prolific! Terry S mentioned another site - Epiphytic Plant Research and Information Centre as a future stockist. They have some wonderful examples but certainly not cheap.....Thanks for your time. I find them fascinating and would love more in depth information. If you get sick of the Sunset Gold one....Let me know! Jane