National Show Pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: National Show Pictures

Post by Chris in Leeds »

If there isn't going to be a cd why was there official photographers at the national show
Seems like a waste of time if the photographs aren't going to be used
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

The amount of effort to produce a CD last national was too much to justify another CD, there was insufficient take up. The pictures which were taken will appear on the BCSS website and maybe the Forum and certainly in the journal. There have been suggestions to have a website devoted to the pictures taken by everyone, I have no idea if this will go ahead.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

For the 2012 National the society produced a DVD and we sold 200 copies. I edited all the images from some very good photographers and probably clocked up nearly 2/ 3 weeks full time editing them. There was also a lot of time that another member spent writing the code to compile all the images into a DVD. I didn't have the time this year to repeat the process and it was decided that with only 200 disks sold that it probably wasn't worth the effort. For info when I asked members why they didn't buy a copy when I was trying hard to sell the last few I was told that they didn't need them because they had taken their own pictures. I also had feedback that the image background was distracting.

Therefore we decided that this year we would ask some photographers to take a reduced number of images with a better background. These images will be used in the Journal and in the 2020 schedule. The photographers will not be posting the images on line so that the journal can have some original content.

I am happy to answer any questions.
Ian Thwaites
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Thanks for the replies this was the first time I have heared that there wasn't going to be a disk produced
I personally have bought all the disks as you get pictures that you might not take yourself and this year I didn't take pictures of the sellers or there plants but had I know there wouldn't be a cd I might have taken more pictures for a presentation at our branch
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

Chris

I am sorry that you didn't hear. After the journal has used some of the images the rest will, i am sure be shared on social media for all to enjoy.
Ian Thwaites
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Chris
You aren't the only one disappointed about the lack of CD/DVD, I did bring this up several months ago in the society section.
I was chatting to a judge at the National & they were pretty disappointed too & was trying to take a lot of photo's but you always miss some classes and plants, then the batteries don't last long enough etc etc .
Not only is it the only official record but it's an excellent reference source for ID purposes & helps when you are planning for the next national. As the society is a charity I still wonder why it couldn't be a justified expense for the members benefit.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

Ian Thwaites wrote:After the journal has used some of the images the rest will, i am sure be shared on social media for all to enjoy.
Some of us don't do social media!
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I too am disappointed about the lack of a NatShow DVD, but understand the amount of effort involved. It takes far more than collating a set of image files together. To be properly useful, each needs a caption giving the species name and exhibitor details, which takes a long time to add.

This also applies to photos posted on this Forum. If for example, Google Images search is to index our pictures here, they should always be uploaded with captions giving the species please.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch
Bill

Post by Bill »

Tina wrote:Chris
You aren't the only one disappointed about the lack of CD/DVD, I did bring this up several months ago in the society section.
I was chatting to a judge at the National & they were pretty disappointed too & was trying to take a lot of photo's but you always miss some classes and plants, then the batteries don't last long enough etc etc .
Not only is it the only official record but it's an excellent reference source for ID purposes & helps when you are planning for the next national. As the society is a charity I still wonder why it couldn't be a justified expense for the members benefit.
I think that when Ian says with only 220 copies sold it wasn't worth it, he wasn't talking about the financial cost but the man power effort. it can be disheartening to put a lot of effort into to something for little return!

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

fruit wrote:
Ian Thwaites wrote:After the journal has used some of the images the rest will, i am sure be shared on social media for all to enjoy.
Some of us don't do social media!
The forum is a form of social media.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.