CactiGuide

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LANCASTER

Re: CactiGuide

Post by Herts Mike »

In which case I shan't be going within a million miles of CactiGuide.
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

For sure, Dave. It's just difficult to get my head round being a creationist and not only having cacti and succulents as a hobby, but actually running one of the biggest forums on the internet about them. Oh well, I prefer it here anyway :grin:
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Don't let that put you off CactiGuide Mike, since you hardly if ever see the Administrator, he just leaves everybody to get on with it. In fact I think all the Moderators have also now disapeared. However in spite of that little spamming occurs and is quickly dealt with if reported. It is actually the board itself that is programmed to reject certain words, they are not deleted by the Administrator. Whether the transfer to the new server will alter this I do not know?

I must also plead guilty to spelling ev0lution with a zero in the past though so the board does not automatically pick it up. :eek:

That's their faith though, plus we are usually brainwashed from birth into what religions we adopt by our parents, reinforced later by the society we live in. Therefore few of us ever rethink those faiths logically when adults.

We look at things differently here as Britain is supposed to be one of the least religious countries in the world. In fact many of our churches are now only kept going by immigrants and their descendents coming here from the 1950's onwards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... -poll.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING

Post by rodsmith »

Leaving religion aside for a post or two, and returning to the CactiGuide forum problems: I haven't been on the site for a few months but logging in it appears that my login name and password are accepted but when I try to post it asks me to login. I am able to search and have accessed some of my previous posts but there seems to be some sort of ongoing problem with the login system. For example, after logging in a whole lot of computer commands appear at the top of the screen for a few seconds, than the normal forum webpage appears. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

rodsmith wrote:Leaving religion aside for a post or two, and returning to the CactiGuide forum problems: I haven't been on the site for a few months but logging in it appears that my login name and password are accepted but when I try to post it asks me to login.
This issue also happens to the BCSS forum on Safari browser (iPhone, Mac etc.).

If you tick remember password and type the user and password we cannot login (takes you back to login page without any message).
If you untick Remember Password and type the same username/password you can login.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

It's not working. The system tells me I'm logged in but when I try to post I'm asked for my username & password again and they're not accepted. This code comes up at the top of the webpage:

Strict Standards: Non-static method phpbb_captcha_factory::get_instance() should not be called statically in /mnt/storage/daiv/public_html/forum/posting.php on line 185

Strict Standards: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, non-static method phpbb_captcha_sortables::get_instance() should not be called statically in /mnt/storage/daiv/public_html/forum/includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 38
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:185)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:185)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:185)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:185)
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Phil_SK
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

When the BCSS forum login was troubling lots of people, I think deleting the bcss cookies helped.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Phil_SK wrote:When the BCSS forum login was troubling lots of people, I think deleting the bcss cookies helped.
Tried on multiple apple devices it did not help.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Phil_SK wrote:When the BCSS forum login was troubling lots of people, I think deleting the bcss cookies helped.
Thanks for the suggestion, Phil, but I've deleted all my cookies a couple of times since previously visiting the CactiGuide website, so that can't be the reason. I expect it will sort itself out eventually. It's not a major problem for me.
Rod Smith

DWDogwood
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by DWDogwood »

I cannot log in either.
No big worry, this forum is actually more informative and entertaining. Has been for a few years.
In 2008-12 it seemed there were far more "moving parts" in the CactiGuide community than there are now.
Succulents are more popular so cactus folks have dwindled?
The Member Topics page with more bloggy entries and photos of people's own collections seems to be the surviving healthy entity.

Ps, I enjoy the tertiary discussions that break out on this forum quite a bit.