BCSS Seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Seeds

Post by habanerocat »

Could somebody direct me to the paypal link for seed payment for overseas customers please?
I can't find it anywhere.

What's the story, do you post the form and pay separately?
How are the order and payment cross referenced?

Thanks!
DragonFish66
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by DragonFish66 »

I've ordered and got my seeds all were my first choice but i would like to order a 2nd time for a few i want but didn't get the 1st time round how do i go about doing this ? or is it 1 order per member ? cheers
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Is anyone having better results than me?
I panted 26 packs of BCSS seed on Jan 7th and 18 packs from another supplier. I have a propagator running at 20c fitted with a grow light on a time switch.
Of the BCSS seeds, only 7/26 pots are showing any germination, mostly just one seed, whereas the the other seeds are showing growth in 14/18 pots, many with multiple seedlings.
The genera have some overlap but are not identical though of similar difficulty I would say.
I rejoined the society last year after several years away and received the free seeds, and these were sown shortly before the others. These are showing germination in most of the pots. Seed from a UK based eBay supplier is also showing very high germination, I'm going to have dozens of epiphylum hybrids unless I lose them to damping off!
Is there a problem with this year's BCSS seed, or am I just super impatient?
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

A couple of months on, is anyone having good results with this year's seed? I've got fewer than a dozen seedlings out of 20+ packets. The other suppliers packs are showing much better results.
This is not a dig at the people who give their time to sort, pack and send out the seed, but it might be a question about the suppliers used. If I wasn't having such good results with seed from other sources I might question my methods this year, but I'm left with only one obvious conclusion.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Cidermanrolls wrote:I've got fewer than a dozen seedlings out of 20+ packets.
What kind of species are they? There are quite a few species that at first show bad germination rates, but really need time (Opuntia, Cyphostemma / Cissus) or could wel do with one or more restarts maybe even years later to finally see some germination rates (Dinteranthus, Massonia, Lithops). Mostly goes for African succulents.

If they are mostly Cactaceae, then that might be a different thing. I don't have good results with restarts from cactus species, besides maybe Eriosyce.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

It is too early to say what the germination rate is this year. I didn't plant until March and nothing has germinated yet. I still peer at the pots every day to check :)
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

And it begins. Two different Eriosyce ss sprouted today., that's about 2 weeks after planting. Still three more cacti with nothing showing.

On the plus side, I have 100% germination from MSG seed. All mesembs of course.
Cheshire, UK
TheChinski
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by TheChinski »

I'm about 10 days in and have quite a few pots planted up, but I finally have my first sprout, a teeny tiny lithops. Hopefully patience is key!
Aaron Rucinski
jhb
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jhb »

My seed order arrived in double quick time. I sent the order on a Friday & received the seeds the following Monday. Many thanks to the volunteers who make this happen. I also got all that I ordered.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.