Echeveria ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Echeveria ID please

Post by juster »

I bought this plant last year, labelled Echeveria chihuahuaensis, a plant I have never grown before. According to the picture in John Pilbeam's book, it looked exactly right. However, recently it started to flower, with lovely yellow blooms, identical to those of Echeveria pulidonis, a plant I have grown for many years. I suspect I have a hybrid, and looking at John's book, I wonder if it is the plant named Echeveria 'blue and yellow'.
Just wondering what others think.
IMG_0411.JPG
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Echeveria ID please

Post by Diane »

I think you're right - looks very like E. pulidonis, but quite likely to be "Blue and Yellow".
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

Thanks Diane, it's a very nice plant, but still disappointing that I didn't get the plant I wanted.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Juster, it must have been very disappointing to get the wrong plant. Here is a picture of my Echeveria 'Blue and Yellow'. I think you will find it is the same as yours. It's a very prolific flowerer, that's for certain.
Echeveria 'Blue and Yellow'
Echeveria 'Blue and Yellow'
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

Thanks for posting this as a comparison Liz, the plants do look very similar. There are some lovely hybrids around, but they can cause a bit of confusion.
Andrew9
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Andrew9 »

Hi juster, the same thing has happened to me. A plant I bought last summer labelled as E. chihuahuaensis has just produced the same yellow flowers. My plant looks the same as yours, wonder if they came form the same place? I got mine at the Sussex Zone show.
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

Hi Andrew, bad luck! I got my plant at a local branch show, although I was also at the Sussex Zone Show. Interesting that exactly the same thing has happened to someone else at Croydon Branch, so it looks as though this is not uncommon. Probably they all originated from the same mis- labelled plant or batch of seed. It really does show the importance of correct identification.