Can it be rescued?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Can it be rescued?

Post by Jim_Mercer »

This old Astrophytum was leaning over last year, while moving plants around to see what had suffered during the winter this plant fell over. Top still feels solid but base of plant obviously dead, could the plant be rescued by cutting away the dead material and getting the top to re-root or will I find the core is rotten when I cu away the dead bits?
Fairly healthy top
Fairly healthy top
Corky appearance has been at base for a few years
Corky appearance has been at base for a few years
All hard and dry
All hard and dry
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Can it be rescued?

Post by Phil_SK »

If the bottom is hard and dry I'd try to save it. Rather than cut it, I'd put my thumbnail into a rib just at the join between the alive and the dead and try to tear it apart. It might pull apart cleanly and may even be rooting from the clean flesh into the dead bit. You might get something like the Lobivia I showed in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161929&p=228868
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

I agree with Phil. Just keep on mind Jim that old(er) plants root harder, so it might take more than 'just a while'. I have one rather young astro sitting rootless for more than a year... But I never stop hoping.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Finally found dome time to operate on my plant - had to organise move of lean-to greenhouse to make room for building works.

No obvious split between dead and live parts of plant body
web-1603.jpg

Decided to saw off lower dead part
web-1605.jpg
Centre seemed solid but some cracks appeared with possible roots just visible
web-1607.jpg
Carefully extending the crack trying to avoid damaging the roots revealed a large cavity
web-1624.jpg
The inside of the cavity was hard and dry and is over 1 inch deep
web-1627.jpg
I think the next step is to place the plant on top of some Tesco cat litter, not sure if I should leave it dry or give it a bit of water to encourage the roots to develop.
web-1632.jpg
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Jim_Mercer wrote:not sure if I should leave it dry or give it a bit of water
Having successfully coped with spreading rot, a bit of water won't be a problem.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Cat litter with an occasional light dampening seems to work for me, as does a very open cactus mix.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Looking good Jim, I have my fingers crossed for the old Astro's recovery.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Liz M
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Absolutely riveting stuff. Please, keep us updated. It looks as though there is a good possibility of success and it would be just great to have it grow its roots.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Plant is now balanced on two pots, outer 2¾ inch pot just has a bit of grit in the bottom to hold inner 6cm pot filled with mix of Tesco cat litter and poultry grit (with oyster shell). I have tried to get the inner pot close to the roots and hope the roots will now grow down into the mix which will have a little water held in the cat litter.
web-1686.jpg
web-1695.jpg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

It looks promising Jim.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.