Adromischus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Adromischus

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Hi
What is the deal with hybrid Adromiscus? I've been watching eBay tonight and seen a four leafed plant fetch just shy of £1200 and several others in the £300 to £500 bracket.
I've never got in to this group of plants, so what is the pull that makes the, fetch such awesome sums?
Jon
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Adromiscus

Post by Aiko »

Crazy people with too much money and / or too little sense, sensitive to local hypes.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Come to Peterborough Branch on Thurs 18th May where I am speaking about Adromischus & their closest relatives.You'll find out what nice pot plants they can make and how to spell them correctly ... http://www.peterborough.bcss.org.uk/meetings.html

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
*** Adromischus Displayed: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/adrodisp/
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Apicra wrote:...and how to spell them correctly ...
:wink: :roll:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Adromischus

Post by Tony R »

rodsmith wrote:
Apicra wrote:...and how to spell them correctly ...
:wink: :roll:
But Derek didn't bother correcting the spelling in the subject of his reply either :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

And if I were dyslexic, perhaps he might feel just a little shame.
I'm not, but my son is and such comments can be extremely hurtful.
Apicra
BCSS Member

Post by Apicra »

Please don't blame the messenger!

It is important that the spelling of plant names is correct, as everyone who has tried to use a list/index knows. Try googling "Adromiscus" and one finds pages of links dissociated from their proper place.

Making a mistake is nothing to worry about. We all make mistakes (I do!) and it is an inevitable part of trying to achieve things. Learn and move on ...

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Last edited by Apicra on Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

That is exactly why you should have changed the title correctly in your reply, Derek. I corrected the original some days ago which meant any subsequent new posts had the correct subject title. You are the one that should learn and move on. I am disappointed.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Tony R wrote:which meant any subsequent new posts had the correct subject title.
Not entirely. Depends on which post you reply to (if you hit the 'quote' option (and maybe later removed the quote)).
Last edited by Aiko on Thu May 11, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apicra
BCSS Member

Post by Apicra »

Hi Moderator Tony,

We know each other and I am happy bantering with you, but I fundamentally disagree with your position. This whole thread was initially titled "Adromiscus" which subsequently got corrected to "Adromischus". I changed the title of my last post back to "Adromiscus" because that is precisely what I was writing about. Pedantic? Maybe!

I see correcting a mistake as an essential part of the original author's learning process and not something that other people should usually do for them. However, I can understand why a Moderator would correct the title on behalf of the author. But my role has to be limited to pointing out the spelling mistake after providing a correct spelling. Anyway, I would make a very poor member of the Speling Pollice ;-)

Regards,
Derek Tribble