a new book on Lithops "Wild Lithops" by Harald Jainta

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ivan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: a new book on Lithops "Wild Lithops" by Harald Jainta

Post by Ivan »

Where can you find what "91 species" might be listed. I can only find maybe 45 or so. And even that might be high.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

I received the book yesterday
If you love Lithops you must to have this book with so many photos of plants in nature (tu) (tu)
For the new classification I don't have the time to look precisely but for some species there is only one specy left (hookeri by example ) and for aucampiae euniceae is for the author a specy
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Very generously Santa brought me a copy of the book yesterday. So far I have only had a chance to whiz through looking at the pictures but what a set of pictures they are giving those who haven't been to see them in habitat a real feeling for the general landscape in which each species grows together with detailed images of each of the plants in glorious close up. Look forward to reading it in detail during the long winter evenings.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

From Terry's reply in another thread, through Google to here, what a journey! Anyway, I have found an interesting article on the subject:

Harald Jainta, A new taxonomic approach for the genus Lithops N.E.Br.

Summary:
As a result of extensive field research as well as comparative observations of plants in cultivation and literature the author has come to the conclusion that the genus Lithops N.E.Br. can be reduced to 38 species without further separation into subspecies or variety level. Detailed and illustrated explanations of the scientific work which led to the present revision as well as a complete bibliography of the species descriptions along with supplemental literature is given in the book "Wild Lithops" (Jainta, 2017). The present article provides a complete reassessment of the genus, with the changes in taxomic status provided in a comprehensive table.
https://haworthiaupdates.org/wp-content ... s_2019.pdf
Last edited by MatDz on Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

I am putting my bet on now that when they find a way to do genetic testing it will show three species: plain, spotty and windows. Oh, with one species that turns out to actually be a Faucaria.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Pattock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:01 pm Oh, with one species that turns out to actually be a Faucaria.
Or Dinteranthus.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Pattock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:01 pm I am putting my bet on now that when they find a way to do genetic testing it will show three species: plain, spotty and windows. Oh, with one species that turns out to actually be a Faucaria.
Simply white and yellow flowering - two species!
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

MaciejW wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:08 am Simply white and yellow flowering - two species!
Are the ones which have yellow flowers with a white centre a subspecies or hybrids? :?:
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

MikeT wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 am
MaciejW wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:08 am Simply white and yellow flowering - two species!
Are the ones which have yellow flowers with a white centre a subspecies or hybrids? :?:
Surely it depends on whether they're yellow with white centres or white with yellow edges??? :mrgreen:
Ed

BCSS member 53038