Cono wittebergense

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jhb
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Cono wittebergense

Post by jhb »

Im just wanting to know some advice on what cono wittebergense prices would be if possible please. Are they expensive or can they be bought for reasonable prices. Many thanks.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cono wittebergense

Post by cactuspip »

I have C. Obcordellum "Wittebergense" plants if you are interested.
Depending on size they sell for about £2-5 or so.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I do have Conophytum minimum 'Wittebergense' RR714. Have tried pollinating it again. Last season I failed, but maybe more luck this season. Will know if I had success next summer, and if I will have seeds available on the free seed list.
steviewang
Registered Guest

Post by steviewang »

Aiko wrote:I do have Conophytum minimum 'Wittebergense' RR714. Have tried pollinating it again. Last season I failed, but maybe more luck this season. Will know if I had success next summer, and if I will have seeds available on the free seed list.
Wish you best luck. :grin:
steviewang
Registered Guest

Post by steviewang »

cactuspip wrote:I have C. Obcordellum "Wittebergense" plants if you are interested.
Depending on size they sell for about £2-5 or so.
Hi,do you mean this is a hybrid?

C. obcordellum x minimum Wittebergense?
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

No. It was an error on my part.

The correct name is Conophytum Minimum "Wittebergense"

The Wittebergense refers to a particular location where the original collection under this name occurred.

It is now used to indicate a particular form of Minimum.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

This form of C. minimum changed hands in Europe until a couple of years ago for a few pounds or euros. However, it has become one of the small cadre of conos which are deemed to be highly desirable in South Korea and China where they change hands for hundreds of pounds, particularly the individuals with the most extreme markings. This has had a knock-on effect to western prices but wait a few years and the prices will settle back again. In the meantime, find a friend in your local BCSS branch who is willing to give you a cutting or two.
steviewang
Registered Guest

Post by steviewang »

cactuspip wrote:No. It was an error on my part.

The correct name is Conophytum Minimum "Wittebergense"

The Wittebergense refers to a particular location where the original collection under this name occurred.

It is now used to indicate a particular form of Minimum.
Thank you for the information.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

steviewang wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 am
Aiko wrote:I do have Conophytum minimum 'Wittebergense' RR714. Have tried pollinating it again. Last season I failed, but maybe more luck this season. Will know if I had success next summer, and if I will have seeds available on the free seed list.
Wish you best luck. :grin:
Me too, 3 and a bit years later! I hope prices for this particular ecotype (?) will go back to sensible values soon!
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I have failed getting seeds multiple seasons now.