Echeveria id's (if possible)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KeithG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Echeveria id's (if possible)

Post by KeithG »

I have a few noid Echeveria that I would like to id if at all possible. The usual thing, bought from places like Wilko in those blister packs for a few pennies.

Number 1;
It is about 15cm in diameter and mature leaves are 4 to 5cm in length. When I bought it last July it was about 6 or 7cm across so it grows like beejayzus. Outdoors on staging against the house wall with overhead protection to keep it dry. It has a light powdery bloom on the foliage...............
ImageEcheveria noid by longk48, on Flickr

DSC_0503.JPG
Number 2;
A small Echeveria that is very much like E.purpurosum in all but colour and attempting to produce more flower stems than E.purpurosum ever has for me (I lost three stems on this noid in the March cold snap). It was overwintered in the unheated greenhouse. Bought in the autumn of last year it hasn't been repotted yet and is just 7cm across with (thick) leaves of just 15mm....................

DSC_0505.JPG
Whilst I have your ears could I ask another (unrelated) question - are Lewisia classed as succulents?

Thanks for reading.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Echeveria id's (if possible)

Post by Tony R »

KeithG wrote:Whilst I have your ears could I ask another (unrelated) question - are Lewisia classed as succulents?
Yes, and for BCSS Show purposes they are included in the Anacampseros Group.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Tony R wrote:
KeithG wrote:Whilst I have your ears could I ask another (unrelated) question - are Lewisia classed as succulents?
Yes, and for BCSS Show purposes they are included in the Anacampseros Group.
Thanks - I feel more like a proper member now as I can grow them reasonably well :lol:
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I suspect both are hybrids. The first has leaves a similar shape to E lilacina and flowers a little like E cante flowers in shape and colour. The second has E purpusorum in it, without doubt, but I am dubious whether it is a pure species, as it looks too pale and I have one or two hybrids of E purpusorum that are pale.
Unfortunately, there are hundreds of hybrids with proper names and probably as many again that are chance hybrids. They may have hybrid names but I could not tell you them.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Thanks Liz (tu)

I suspected that it was a bit of an ask (hence the thread title) but if you don't ask and all that..............
Andrew9
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Andrew9 »

I think number 2 is Echeveria 'Fabiola' (E. purpusorum x E. derenbergii)

Here is a link
http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?a ... =F&aID=533

Andrew