What's wrong with my Melocactus?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What's wrong with my Melocactus?

Post by Cactusgirl »

Thank you for the advice which I'm going to adhere to and keep my fingers crossed the plant has still got the roots!
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Even if it's lost its roots it's a complete myth that Melocactus can't regrow them once they have their cephalium, I've done it multiple times, so all is not lost either way.

You can repot it into Tesco non-clumping cat litter now and just ever so slightly wet the cat litter once a month or so. That gives it the best chance of getting it's roots back if they're gone. Adding a bit of rooting hormone around the old roots may potentially help but I've not used it enough to say one way or another how much, if at all.

If you have it inside I'd be inclined to disagree with not doing anything now, the longer you leave it if the roots have gone, the less chance it has of recovery because it's really just living on borrowed time. You need to act before that borrowed time runs out, not after.

It may well be a lost cause, Melocactus aren't always easy to keep, but it's also not a given that it's a gonner either, again, even if the roots are lost. Root recovery is definitely slow on Melocactus, compared to other species like, say, Trichocereus pachanoi which will root if you so much as forget to look at it for a minute but it's also not impossible.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:59 am It's probably a bit dangerous to increase water now but after April during warm weather up the watering gradually. In the summer mine paddle in it 😉
Do you keep them outside the greenhouse, so the rain of summer will water them throughout the months?
Anyout else out there have been doing that?

I have two Melocacti, which both lost their roots last year. One of the two was a M. azureus I had sown myself in 1999. It regrow its roots. The other is still without roots. I am wondering what I should do (now, and in the future).
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I have some big old Melos but never water in the winter!

Just goes to show.
Kees
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Kees »

Herts Mike wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:40 pm I have some big old Melos but never water in the winter!

Just goes to show.
Does the soil dry out completely before you start watering in spring? What do you grow them in?

I have 9 baby melocacti smithii that I water once a week. I dare not let their roots dry out completely.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

IanW tbank you so much for the advice. I don't think I've killed her completely and I'm confident that the plant will pick up now I know to be slightly more generous with the water as I am with the heat! I will update in due course hopefully with good news!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Here are some of my Melos. I have no idea what they are growing in now as I haven't repotted them in as much as 10 years for the bigger ones. They will get watered in spring along with everything else. Maybe I will repot them!
IMG_5544.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5540.JPG
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

They look good (tu) , no2 has no more space it will be walking out soon, that is a seriously large cephaleum do you know the age
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

30 years?
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »