Growing dioscorea elephantipes from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Growing dioscorea elephantipes from seed

Post by MatDz »

Reviving a tad "dormant" thread as I am currently at the crossroads with my D. elephantipes: I have sown 2 pots of 3 seeds each on 11th this month (so 2.5 half weeks ago) and had 2/3 of them germinate (3 seeds about a week ago and 1 more 1-2 days ago).

I am planning to wait another week or two to give the remaining 2 seeds a chance to germinate, would that affect negatively the already germinated seedlings? 3 are at least a week old at the moment. I'll then grow them in the germination pots for as long as advised (i.e. how long exactly?), then dry the pots off and try again to germinate whatever is left.
Mat
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

MatDz wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 pm then dry the pots off and try again to germinate whatever is left.
I'd keep watering as long as the seedlings stay in leaf. Once the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, but not before then. You want to keep them growing as long as possible to get the caudices as big as possible before their first dormancy.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

MikeT wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:42 pm
MatDz wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 pm then dry the pots off and try again to germinate whatever is left.
I'd keep watering as long as the seedlings stay in leaf. Once the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, but not before then. You want to keep them growing as long as possible to get the caudices as big as possible before their first dormancy.
Thank you! Do I water the seedlings like other succulents, i.e. deep watering when the substrate is dry for a few days? Are there any signs of dehydration such small seedlings can show to help me not overwater them? (Actually, the same question applies to all other seedlings, is there anything e.g. Lithops seedlings do when they need water?)

With the "drying the pots off" I was thinking about after I repot the seedlings to separate pots, so I can dry off the remaining seeds (assuming they'll not germinate in the meantime of course!) and give them another chance to germinate. But, as mentioned, this assumes the seeds will not germinate in the first round, so I will worry about that later. The question for now is whether the germinated seedlings will be fine with another week or two in the bag?

Edit: this is how they look now (2 pots x 3 seeds, 2 out of which germinated in both):

Mat
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

It's always a bit of a problem when some seedlings like fresh air, and others have not yet germinated. But in this case, i suspect they have mainly germinated, just not developed a leaf yet.
I'd concentrate on keeping the ones that have germinated, ratehr than worrying about rescuing the un-germinated seeds.

Disocoreas can take plenty of water. My suggestion would thus be to remove the bag, but keep them warm (rather than hot!), and keep them wet. You don't need to let them fully dry out at all, and indeed, for the smallest ones, it would probably do them no good while as long as it is warm and airy and light, the one with a leaf should just grow. Let them grow for a couple of months then separate them. By then they should have started to develop caudices, perhaps the size of a pea, depending on conditions. I'd then put them into 1 litre pots to encourage rapid growth over their first autumn - winter - spring.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

I keep mine in a bag for the first few months. If anything, unseal it. They do like the water and it benefits them. And you can wait for repotting until next year - they will be happier being bit squashed at that early stages of growth.

It seems that there are as many way of growing plants as there is growers. See what works for you, as sometimes less attention helps.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you both Ralph and Maciej! I have "graduated" both pots out of the bags yesterday evening and am planning to keep them nice and moist and not touch the pots for the next year or so. I just wish there were 3 seedlings in both already!

Quite exciting to have such odd plant at home!
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Here I am again!

2 new questions with regard to my D. elephantipes seedlings (photos below, there are 2 seedlings in that pot and 1 unsuccessful seed):
  1. One of the leaves, the only one on a stem in case this matters, turned brown and slightly thinner/dried that the others, should I be worried? The other stem with all of its leaves is looking great.
  2. Given the roots are poking out of the drainage holes, should I repot or maybe just trim the roots and keep watering?
General view (pardon the background!):

Close-up of the fishy leaf:

And the roots:

Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Is It only 1 leaf & there is more vine ?, I'd put them in a bigger pot if it was me. Trying not to disturb as much as possible, I feel with succulents repotting when they are in growth is better for them, where as cactus its anytime I have the time.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Tina wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:56 pm Is It only 1 leaf & there is more vine ?, I'd put them in a bigger pot if it was me. Trying not to disturb as much as possible, I feel with succulents repotting when they are in growth is better for them, where as cactus its anytime I have the time.
There are two wines, one with this single, brownish leaf, and the other full length with dozens of leaves. I can possibly pot them up without removing too much of the old substrate, maybe the third seed will germinate next year ;)
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I wouldn't worry about the brown leaf one as you have 2 in the pot its not going to stay wet so if its having a wobble it might get growing again. A repot with some space n fresh soil will be good for them.
Were these last years BCSS ones ?.
I have had seeds germinate a few years later, they do their own thing. I was very pleased as it was some hybrid elephantipes X sylvatica supposedly very fissured caudex but not very exciting yet.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.