pure pumice?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: pure pumice?

Post by wildedges »

I was in Ikea on Friday so I picked up a couple of bags of 'Växer' to try out. Pic below if anyone wants to get an idea of the consistency (1p coin for scale). It's a very fine mix so I'm tempted to open it up a bit with some bigger particles of my usual granite grit. It's also very hard to stop it just falling out of the drainage holes of the pot. Do people usually use plastic pots or terracotta with pumice?

Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest

Post by Ospreywatcher »

I bought a few bags from my local Ikea specifically for my Pachypodiums.To stop pumice coming out through the drainage holes I have cut up small pieces of weed suppressant matting from a roll I bought for the garden. Putting this over the drainage hole allows excess water to drain through and stops the pumice escaping.
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
chris25
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by chris25 »

Paul D wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:49 pm
chris25 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am
May I ask which grade you bought? Their "horticultural gravel" grade seems a bit large, whereas the crushed pumice looks a bit bright!

Thanks.

Chris
I got the "pumice crush" and also the "pumice sand". The pumice crush is still a little on the large side and is graded very well so all the bits are uniformly sized. I mixed it with the sand. It is still usable but would be better if smashed up a bit more.
Thank you!
Marise
BCSS Member

Post by Marise »

Marise wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 pm
Diane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:55 pm Tesco have it back in stock now, Marise.
(tu)
Thanks Diane. I'll look out for it next shopping trip.
Tesco have their own cat litter back in stock but it's not the same as it used to be. It's not a pink pack (it's red and white) and it's clump forming; the texture is completely different. Very disappointing.
Does anyone know if the old variety is available anywhere or is this the only one they offer now? Thanks.
BCSS 49518
Midlands, UK
Growing anything that takes my fancy.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I think you have the wrong one Marise. It's Tesco low dust non clumping and the package is predominantly green.
Marise
BCSS Member

Post by Marise »

It was always pink. I've just looked on line and I can't see any that aren't clumping.
BCSS 49518
Midlands, UK
Growing anything that takes my fancy.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Herts Mike wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:13 pm I think you have the wrong one Marise. It's Tesco low dust non clumping and the package is predominantly green.
Marise, This is the one. They changed the name from Low dust to Antibacterial! It has the same attributes in a different order - Odour control, Adsorbent, Low dust, Lightweight.
cat litter.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

IMG_20190407_1242521_rewind.jpg
IMG_20190407_1242521_rewind.jpg
IMG_20190407_1243507_rewind.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190407_1243123_rewind.jpg
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

They still have the low dust in my Tesco.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

would you mind holding some in your hand as a scale?

Peter
Peter Shaw