Opuntia grown outside - progress.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Opuntia grown outside - progress.

Post by Brian »

Very interesting and a good outdoor set up. The shelter is impressive. Due to nothing other than shortage of greenhouse space I put my aeoniums and a large opuntia outdoors in spring. They’ve never done so well but are back under cover under glass now. I’ve not seen opuntia flower outdoors in UK and wonder what the chances are.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Brian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 am Very interesting and a good outdoor set up. The shelter is impressive. Due to nothing other than shortage of greenhouse space I put my aeoniums and a large opuntia outdoors in spring. They’ve never done so well but are back under cover under glass now. I’ve not seen opuntia flower outdoors in UK and wonder what the chances are.
Here are some of mine outdoors (in 2007!) I did not cover them and they loved the winter snow in their well-drained raised bed.

2007_07_07 Opuntia and Alpine Bed 5.JPG
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks for the update Mark, the shelter looks good and the plants are making good progress. Tony your raised bed looks great, nice to see the Opuntia in flower, something to aim for Mark!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

Brian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 am Very interesting and a good outdoor set up. The shelter is impressive. Due to nothing other than shortage of greenhouse space I put my aeoniums and a large opuntia outdoors in spring. They’ve never done so well but are back under cover under glass now. I’ve not seen opuntia flower outdoors in UK and wonder what the chances are.
Thanks Brian, it certainly isn’t easy with our ever changing climate to get it just right but I do like the challenge and if it doesn’t ever flower I’ll still be happy with how it’s grown so far. I know the feeling with lack of greenhouse space! :)
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Tony R wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 am
Here are some of mine outdoors (in 2007!) I did not cover them and they loved the winter snow in their well-drained raised bed.

2007_07_07 Opuntia and Alpine Bed 5.JPG
Tony, I remember looking at these images on another post and it was very impressive how you got these to grow so well. I think you’re based South / South East if I’m not mistaken? which is the most ideal for the UK climate in terms of winter rain versus up here in the wet and windy North West. Is that an Opuntia Basilaris in there as well? I know these are up there with the hardy Opuntias but didn’t know it was that hardy. Flowers are also striking on this as well. Did it ever flower for you?
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

juster wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:01 pm Thanks for the update Mark, the shelter looks good and the plants are making good progress. Tony your raised bed looks great, nice to see the Opuntia in flower, something to aim for Mark!
Thanks Juster :). Yes Tony’s Opuntias are very inspiring. Definitely something to aim for.
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Mark, the O. compressa/humifusa, O. macrorhiza, O. phaeacantha, and O. polyacantha did best in the bed and flowered well. The O. basalaris survived outside for about 5 years but did not flower. After about 10 yeas, they were all rampant and I took lots of cuttings for sale and to give away, and discarded the remains of the old plants.

I had a large O. basilaris var. ramosus in a pot which used to sit on the patio from April to September which flowered prolifically throughout the summer with gorgeous magenta flowers. It spent the winter months in the main greenhouse though.

Ny main problem with this bed was that an invasive clone of oxalis got in amongst the plants and it was a devil to deal with.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Thanks Tony, shame about the oxalis taking over but really shows what can be achieved in this country given the right setup.

I also have the same Opuntia as you mentioned in another protected bed outside which contains O.humifisa, O.macrorhiza, O.polyacantha, O.fragilis fusssen, O.fragilis freiberg and even some Echinocereus reichenbachii. This will be their first winter so time will tell but it has remained bone dry since October under a similar shelter so fingers crossed.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I know what you mean Tony getting the oxalis out of the large Opuntias and Agaves in the garden and large pots on the patio is a pain, bought a very long pair of pliers to pull the devil out, but getting all the roots out is impossible so the following summer it is there again.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I have been cautiously painting Oxalis with weed killer using a very fine watercolour brush. Requires dedication and a steady hand! And keeping your forehead clear of the danger zone lest a comedy moment occurs. I now have both common strains to deal with and they always spring upon close proximity to the most dangerous Opuntias.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch