Chamaecereus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Chamaecereus

Post by Phil_SK »

C. stillowiana is a bit too young to flower yet, but for completeness:
TB426.1 stillowiana
TB426.1 stillowiana
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Likewise these C. luisramirezii seedlings sown last year aren't at a point where flowers could be expected.
luisramirezii
luisramirezii
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

That is a new species to me, thanks for introducing it to many of us. Looks like one for a hanging basket and could be interesting for hybridisation.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

The first of the luisramirezii seedlings has flowered today. Nothing special, really. My treated-mean plants don't look like they're going to produce the long, pendent stems usually seen as the longest stems are growing very little as new basal shoots appear.
P5220028 copy.jpg
P5220029 copy.jpg
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Great flowers Phil. My plant is growing the nice long pendant stems but no sign of flowers yet. Maybe I need to be meaner to it!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Lovely coloured flower
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Interesting to see the C. luisramirezii, Phil.
How mean are you to it? And how cold have you gone with these over winter?
I'm thinking about testing the frost-hardiness of some if not all my seedlings this winter.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

This is what can be potentially achieved with Chamaecereus luisramirezii. Not mine of course. I've managed to secure some cuttings and they seem to be growing rapidly so far. This is growing in Spain and flowers early.
175606934_142292947852088_5077583583413029345_n.jpg
Link to pdf.

http://kkplzen.eu/media/kunena/attachme ... act-Av.pdf

I'd be interested in comments on how frost hardy this plant is if anybody knows.
Like silvestrii it seems to turn red at the drop of a hat.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Mine are seedlings (half a dozen in the same pot) sown in 2018. Like all of my plants, they're in 1:1 grit and moler. Although I'm trying to turn over a new leaf this year, I've not been very generous with my waterings in the past. I have my heater set to about 1C so they've been down to about -1C I'd say.