Manual Pollination of Ceropegia?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stig
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Manual Pollination of Ceropegia?

Post by Stig »

I am aware the natural way Ceropegia are pollinated is by trapping small Diptera flies but has anyone managed to successfully pollinate Ceropegia manually? I've had a look on the internet where there is quite a bit of information around the natural pollination processes but I cant find anything to do with artificial pollination. I'm not even sure if Ceropegia are self fertile. I had a go at manually pollination Ceropegia woodii and also crossing it with Ceropegia conrathii with zero success. It did involve removing most of the flower to get to the pollinia etc so I'm not sure if this prevents the flower from setting seed. Also I couldn't even see what I was doing as the pollinia are so small, I just tried to remove anything that looked vaguely yellow and transferred it to another flower.