Sedum multiceps advice please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pattock
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Sedum multiceps advice please

Post by Pattock »

I suppose you know the tree in the background of the first pic is an Atlas Cedar? I assume that the needles that adorn the soil are also from those. Totally hardy throughout the UK if given a sunny spot. So, I would agree with not using any heat at all, might be worth trying in a cold frame with no walls when you have some spares.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

My new naturalist friend told me the trees around there were mostly Atlas Cedar, Algerian Fir, as well as Algerian Oak, European Aspen and Italian Maple. Found in the same area were sedum acre, sedum album and petrosedum amplexicaule.
I gave away a few spare plants this year but I'll take some more cuttings now the plants are waking up and by next winter I'll have one to experiment with. I'm more worried now about damp than cold because the winters here are very wet and humid. Trying to keep my greenhouses dry inside can be a challenge and I've been told they're susceptible to fungal problems.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

I thought I'd post a quick update to this as I've been trying the plants in the cold greenhouse for the first time this winter as suggested. My two original plants are still indoors, just in case, but I now have three spare plants grown from cuttings that I'm happy to experiment with.
My greenhouse is unheated and very well ventilated as it's built onto decking with an open void below so the whole floor is one big vent. Temperatures this winter have been very mild generally and we've had some decent sun. The lowest I've recorded in the greenhouse was -2 Celsius but even in January it's reached 20 degrees in there on sunny days. It still gets condensation on the insides of the windows despite the air-flow but I live in a very damp area.
All three plants have been thriving and demanding weekly watering. The photo below shows what happened to one plant when I stopped watering it for a couple of weeks. Left picture is 23rd January, right is 6th February. The plant recovered back to fully open within 24hrs of watering on a mild, sunny day.
I would say that so far the plants in the greenhouse are looking better than the indoor plants and it will be interesting to see the difference as the season progresses.
I'm also trying to grow one plant with an extensive root system. I'm using a bonsai pot for now as it's wide and shallow but the aim is to replicate the wild plants I posted previously that have multiple rooted points that seem to sustain more dense foliage. The original rooted plant is the section on the top right and the rest has grown out from that.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A very interesting update, thanks!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

It is looking very good.

Have you noticed that it is the Plant of the Month? esp's plant.

https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/feb-22.html
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

I hadn't seen the Plant of the Month feature, thanks for letting me know. I'd be interested to know how old that plant is.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

wildedges wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:16 pm I hadn't seen the Plant of the Month feature, thanks for letting me know. I'd be interested to know how old that plant is.
I received it as a small unrooted cutting on 17/9/2016.
I don't think they need much soil volume, but your wide bonsai pot should work well, they seem very keen on spreading from branches rooting down.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

That's great thanks. Is it the same plant you posted on the previous page?
A lot of the habitat photos I've found show the plants growing in very small pockets of soil in among rocks. I'm growing my plants in different sized pots to see what effect it has on growth but I suspect they'll grow well enough in almost anything.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

wildedges wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:32 pm Is it the same plant you posted on the previous page?
Yes, it is the same.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Just some updates. The bonsai pot plant is looking great and growing very well with the layered roots. It looks better when you can see it in three dimensions though. I'm trying to improve my plant photography so constructive criticism is always welcome.