Aztekium from seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stoogle
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aztekium from seeds

Post by Stoogle »

Hello all,

Hope you are all well, have been reading up on aztekiums and starting these from seed. Have ordered up about 7different packs of ten seeds from www.gerardo.cz. Am wondering what the best way to do this would be, small pots and baggies, petri dishes? Aware that they will need hardly any space for the first three years.

Have also ordered up a larger quantity from Kohres so will put them in a larger propagator and see how they go and experiment with various different grafts, etc. with these.

Have been reading up on substrates, there was some suggestion about riversand because this does not have the lime component that will affect the Ph. any ideas most welcome?

Have read the Quail articles on Livingrocks.com and had a general search on the net but if anyone has good resources to direct me to or wishes to discuss this would be much appreciated?

Thanks,
Stuart
Stoogle
Registered Guest

Re: Aztekium from seeds

Post by Stoogle »

re what is the best substrate people have found to sow on? Hear mixed reports - some say pure sand as no algae/fungi grow, others say this is too dry for the seeds and not enough nutrients? Thinking perhaps a 70:30 sand:potting mix topped with a fine layer of sand. Do people use a preventative fungacide, does this prevent germination?
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

best way is bag or glass jar method.This method provide stable environment for seedling to grow.
it is the most tested way to grow slow-growing cactus.
If you use let pot open instead of seal it with bag, you need to water very carefully, and attend a losing battle with moss and algae.

i use micro wave to sterilize medium.It is crucial to slow down algae growth.
If you did it very carefully the jar can maintain algae-free for very long time.
If you open the jay/bag,to take picture, algae spore in the air will get inside and slowly take over.

Pure quartz sand can slow down algae growth but it is inevitable.The goal is to make seedling big enough to transplant.
Pure sand are indeed to dry for most cactus seedling,but if you are using bag method,the substrate will always in mild moist.So this son't be a problem.

I find temperature will effect germination. They won't grow if temp is above 30C I think around 25C is good.

Saw in 2019 4/5 i buy seed from local grower. 4 out of 10. but 3 seedling turn in to jelly for no apparent reason.
I add boiled dilute fertile in august(to kill of any algae spore). He seems to like this extra boost.
algae are manageable so-far.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

David Quail wrote a detailed article on Raising Aztekiums from Seed for the March 2019 issue of the Essex Succulent Review.

https://www.essexsucculentreview.org.uk ... -2019.html
This link will take you to the relevant back issues page. Please scroll down to download the March issue.
I'm sure this will tell you everything you need to know.

Best wishes,
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world
Stoogle
Registered Guest

Post by Stoogle »

Thank you Sheila, much appreciated. Have been emailing David to discuss various techniques and approaches so really good to read his article and be able to see the photos. Thanks very much for sharing, excellent magazine!
Stoogle
Registered Guest

Post by Stoogle »

Thank you kohinoor that's really interesting to hear about your experiences I will take these onboard. Am thinking to use a technique with less organic matter in the substrate and opt for more of a mineral mix and have some chinosolo on hand for any issues with damping off. May also run a few pots to experiment with different variables to find out which works best. Will keep you posted...