Which seeds have you ordered this year?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Which seeds have you ordered this year?

Post by Aiko »

You received the BCSS journal and see list today? I don't have it yet. Wonder what nice things are on it...
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Being an oversea(s) memeber has some disadvantages Aiko. One of them is 'too late for me' seed list :( :) On the other hand, I guess UK members with lousy postman face the same problem...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
daydreamer
BCSS Member

Post by daydreamer »

Not here in darkest Dorset yet either, but I remember from discussion on this forum last year that the BCSS operates some process to try to allow for this. Perhaps because of this there was a wait before the seeds arrived, but I got everything I ordered so was very happy. Looking forward to seeing the list in the not-too-distant future.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Nor in Hertfordshire but last year's seed list had nothing for me so I'm not holding my breath.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

CactusWorld arrived in Leeds yesterday.
I suppose the "choice" will depend upon your interests
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:07 am CactusWorld arrived in Leeds yesterday.
I suppose the "choice" will depend upon your interests
And here over the Pennines.

I must admit having sown hundreds of cactus species over the last three years in an attempt to make up for a decade or two's absence from the hobby, I selected few (for me) items off this year's cactus list, but there are some good Mammillarias there, and Turbinicarpus/Gymnocactus that still tempted me.

But I was surprised to see yet another large list, as last year, of Conophytums. All thanks to Terry Smale for his generosity there. If you grow mesembs that must be the highlight of this year's BCSS list. And you can pretty much guarantee germination will be excellent, again like last year. Also a good number of Lithops, but again I have produced more Lithops over the last couple of years than I can justify.

As for the articles, yet another great mix. including a tribute to Gordon Rowley, who achieved so much for our interest, and an interesting article, for me, about a Mexican conservation programme.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

My daughter (newish member) was hoping for other succulents including Echeveria.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

el48tel wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:14 pm My daughter (newish member) was hoping for other succulents including Echeveria.
We received ours yesterday but hubby was looking at it so I haven't seen it yet. We like succulents.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

There are fundamentally different issues here which really should not be outside the members' area.
One is the distribution of the list (and Journal) which can be frustrating when it arrives late because of the postal system inside the UK or across the globe, for whatever reason. The other is its content. If you like what is on the list, you are happy, if it contains seeds outside your interests you are not so happy.
You could be in one of four camps .....
I'll leave it for you to decide in which you stand.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

If you aren't into cacti or mesembs there isn't much left.