Schlumbergera: repotted

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Schlumbergera: repotted

Post by SpikyMike »

Decided it was time to repot my poor old suffering Schlumbergera. No idea if was a good idea to do this in January! Fingers crossed.
Attachments
8C7089DE-6DCE-4052-8501-4EA2363A4EC9.jpeg
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Schlumbergera: repotted

Post by edds »

I've just done mine too Mike. As it's in a warm room and I thought it had finished flowering I figured it was as good time as any.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Hi Ed. Phew. Lol. Thought I was being mad. Did the repotting - then I read up some online care tips - which said spring is correct time.
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

If it's inside, in a warm room like mine hopefully the plant won't know it's not Spring!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

SpikyMike wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:34 pm Hi Ed. Phew. Lol. Thought I was being mad. Did the repotting - then I read up some online care tips - which said spring is correct time.
Mine are kept in the greenhouse with a minimum winter temperature of 5 deg C and seen to have a mind of their own, flowering any time from November onwards. When they have come into bud I bring the plants into the house in rotation so I have a good two or three months when there is a flowering plant in the house.
If needed I will re pot when they return to the greenhouse, taking the opportunity to split any that have become too big or that are looking past their best.
Sorry, that was a rather long winded way to say don't believe all the on line care tips you see particularly regarding these plants.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Just to add to my posts above, my repotted plant is doing well and growing new flower buds so it didn't seem to mind at all.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Slightly off topic, my so named Easter cactus failed to flower last year after a few years of lovely flowers. The plant is in an identical position as always. Any tips to help it flower will be greatfully recieved. Cheers
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Are you certain it is Easter? These are so hybridised today! I don't water mine until they form buds. Most of mine are Thanksgiving/Christmas though. It seems to work. Neglect too. Don't overfuss them!
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Eric Williams wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm Slightly off topic, my so named Easter cactus failed to flower last year after a few years of lovely flowers. The plant is in an identical position as always. Any tips to help it flower will be greatfully recieved. Cheers
Have you repotted it recently? One of my Christmas cacti hasn't flowered this year, I assume that the neglect has finally caught up with it! Multiple years in the same pot on my cold, shady patio may be overdoing it.
I repotted at Hatiora salicorniodes in the autumn, after 3 years in a tiny pot. It's responded by lots of winter growth and is about the flower in the next week or 2, very unseasonably compared to its previous existence