Aloe polyphylla germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe polyphylla germination

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Next photo in my series of Aloe polyphylla germination. This is the same germinating seed as seen a few messages back in the thread (2020-Jan-27). It's now 3 days later (2020-Jan-30) so after 13 days since submerging a batch of 50 seeds in water. The root has extended, and the first leaf (just looks like a 'lump' at this stage) is starting to develop at the top. Size of root/shoot is 8mm from tip to tip. Since no others of the 50 seeds have yet germinated, I decided to plant this one in soil - I would have done it sooner apart from wanting to take the photo, as damaging it becomes more likely. So it's planted in a small pot with the developing leaf just above the surface. I just used some 'general purpose' potting compost (peat or peat-sustitute type of thing) - actually the same stuff as I repotted full-size Aloe polyphylla in last year. I've never found it fussy about soil-type. Who knows whether this seedling will grow or rot, after all it's been poked about more than I'd like while taking the photos.
IMG_3073a.jpg
IMG_3073a.jpg (56 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Some comments on other things that have come up recently in the thread:

JoelR's re-rooting small plant: shows the kind of thing that must happen at the base of large plants too. Old stem and roots rot away, with new roots developing further up. I reckon that after 2 or so years, all of an Aloe polyphylla plant will have been renewed, with nothing remaining of the roots/stem/leaves that were previously there. Compare (say) with a dicotyledonous tree, where the stem/trunk remains for the entire life of the plant. I was repotting an adult plant last year when nearly the entire root-ball fell off under its own weight - the plant continued to grow as though nothing had happened, with its flower continuing to develop.

Pot size etc.: Don't fuss about it - anything will do. As above, doesn't seem even slightly affected by repotting, or by separating multiple plants. I've usually put several seedlings in a pot (or indeed sowed several seeds to a pot before I started using the 'soaking' method), but if you've only got a few, then by all means put one in a pot. I've never worried about rot spreading: I reckon the pathogens are there, everywhere, all the time, but plants are designed to resist unless damaged. Some rot from time to time, as might my seedling above.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I have three seedlings now in pots. They seem to be doing well.
A.polyphylla 09-02-20
A.polyphylla 09-02-20
All three of these were moved when they had tiny shoots - it seems perhaps I'm a bit too ham-fisted with seeds with larger growths and damage them when transferring.

I haven't had any more germinate in the water recently. I think the use of hydrogen peroxide to get rid of mouldy growth has caused issues. My current hypothesis is that when I have used it it has killed seeds that were in the process of germinating while not affecting those that were dormant. We'll see what happens with the rest.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Ed,
they are looking good n healthy, fingers crossed for them.

Yes I think your pre-treatment definitely had a negative effect as I have had 13 germinate out of 15 seeds & mine had no pampering just on the kitchen window sill so I couldn't forget them ( my normal trick).
Now ask me next year how many survived will be interesting but I only want/need a few I would like to flower one , then I'll probably get bored with it.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Another seed has germinated in water today and been transferred to a pot giving me four currently. I think 4-5 seeds in the water are dead and have fungus on them due, I assume, to the H2O2 treatment killing those already growing unseen but hopefully I'll still have a few more on the way.
A.polyphylla 13-02-20
A.polyphylla 13-02-20
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Glad some people now have Aloe polyphylla seedlings - I'm not sure whether we have any reports about the seeds from the December 2019 BCSS list (other than my own experiment).

It's now 28 days since I started soaking 50 seeds (from the 2019-collected seed which went to the BCSS, and with which I started this thread). So far, 17 have germinated (i.e. one-third), and been transferred to soil, where they look like 'edds' ones ealier in the thread. No losses after transfer so far, and all are still on their first leaf.

I note from my experiment in 2013 (described here) that back then it was 28 days soaking before I got significant germination at all, over 40 days for something like one-third, reaching over 80% in 60 days. So don't give up, anyone who is still waiting, and don't worry if there appears to be fungus (or something) on some of the seeds. I've only changed the water once so far, and as I said, it was unsterile rainwater straight from the water-butt.

I'm putting them in single 2-inch pots, in peat-type (or substitute) compost. I said before that I usually transplant several to a pot, but I thought "What's the point?" since they grow quickly. They're on the kitchen windowsill in a propagator set to about 16C - I remove the lid if the sun's out, which it is at the moment.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Clarke Brunt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:35 am Glad some people now have Aloe polyphylla seedlings - I'm not sure whether we have any reports about the seeds from the December 2019 BCSS list (other than my own experiment).
I "sowed" in water half my BCSS packet when I saw the recommendation on this thread,about ten seeds. Two of the larger seeds germinated after 22 days and another two are throwing out a root now, which is very satisfactory so far.

[Edit] Correction, on checking this afternoon, a total of seven are now showing germination. Five of them too short a root emerging to think of planting yet. My fear is now my mishandling as being likely to kill them off in due course.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

My seedlings have done well since February. A fifth seed germinated but didn't make it. I do have another in the water that has germinated but I trying the trick of leaving that for a longer time to see if it is successful for me.
A.polyphylla 13-04-20
A.polyphylla 13-04-20
The two largest are starting to throw leaves in a ring, not just opposite. This was from the 6th leaf.

A close up,
Close up 13-04-20
Close up 13-04-20
IMG_20200413_214615.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Dragging this thread back up as this year's batch of seeds are in water and I'm thinking ahead to the transition out of water after germination.

Last year my batch of about 25 seeds eventually had all but 7 germinate. But I only got the 4 pictured above to successfully transition. All my later attempts failed.

It seems to me that the earlier efforts, sprayed at least daily, had a good balance of not drying out but staying moist. Later ones, when it was warmer and I was back at work didn't have the same sort of attention lavished upon them!

Has anyone tried long strand sphagnum moss as a material to put the new seedlings into? I use it for small orchids as it retains a lot of water within its structure for the plants to access but then has open channels so air can also get to the roots to prevent them rotting.

Hopefully this picture shows you the structure through the side of a clear pot,
PXL_20201230_100620138.jpg
I'm also thinking of putting groups of seedlings (assuming I get any germinating of course!) into larger pots together to try and reduce the dry/wet cycles and keep them more evenly moist.

Thoughts?
Has anyone tried a media like this for these or other succulents?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I've raised about a dozen of these and this works for me.

Transplanting is indeed the tricky bit. I make up a small square pot with standard compost. I stand it in boiling water to soak up then leave to drain for a day. Using a sharp item make a small hole in the compost and drop the seedling in then I use a drop of water from the tap to wash the compost round the roots. 3 or 4 seedlings to a pot. Then seal in a plastic bag and place in a North facing window and leave well alone until they have grown to a decent size the take out of the bag and keep soil most and pot out of the sun. Slowly acclimatize.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Mike. I worry that mine dried out too much last year as I couldn't keep enough moisture next to the emerging shoot without regular spraying.

Once I got them over that stage they did great. This is the largest seedling a year later in a 12cm bowl.
Aloe polyphylla 1 year old
Aloe polyphylla 1 year old
Ed

BCSS member 53038