Aloe polyphylla germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe polyphylla germination

Post by el48tel »

Daughter swears by pure vermiculite for seed germination. I have tried a comparison. It's slower but seems to work. Supresses moss etc
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:52 am Daughter swears by pure vermiculite for seed germination. I have tried a comparison. It's slower but seems to work. Supresses moss etc
Wouldn't fine moler clay, the "car absorbent" one, be similar to vermiculite but less messy? It holds a low of water as well, but doesn't break down or crush as easily.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:32 am
el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:52 am Daughter swears by pure vermiculite for seed germination. I have tried a comparison. It's slower but seems to work. Supresses moss etc
Wouldn't fine moler clay, the "car absorbent" one, be similar to vermiculite but less messy? It holds a low of water as well, but doesn't break down or crush as easily.
Mat
She's a trained horticulturalist. I respect her training and skills. I know she has tried other media. That's the one which she finds works for her.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:01 am
Mat
She's a trained horticulturalist. I respect her training and skills. I know she has tried other media. That's the one which she finds works for her.
I by no means question anyone's knowledge or skills, just a "car spillage absorbent" isn't the first thing one thinks about when sowing seeds and it works really well and has very similar properties to vermiculite. Nothing more than that, really.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 am
el48tel wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:01 am

Mat
I by no means question anyone's knowledge or skills, just a "car spillage absorbent" isn't the first thing one thinks about when sowing seeds and it works really well and has very similar properties to vermiculite. Nothing more than that, really.
I know that she has tried it ..... and dismissed it .... that is sufficient for me ..... if it works for you then I respect that.
Similarly, I disliked the concept of using the materials because they are a high cost, high technology solution to a low technology problem, but because I had had difficulty striking a root (9 months and no roots) on a Stapeliad, I was prepared to try her suggestion of perlite JI#2 mix. The cutting rooted in days. I am trying it with cactus offsets which I would normally root in sieved grit JI#2. I am open to suggestion of alternatives. I listen to the voices of experience, however, the cat litter car oil chemical spillage kit solution does not enamour me. There are cheap versions out there which are not the real deal. One "enthusiast grower" sold me a plant potted in so called fired clay of the variety about which you enthuse. My experience with disposal of said compost later was not pleasant. It had turned to brown slime. (S)he had bought a material which was obviously not as specified.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

Is pure vermiculite or perlite/JI mix better?
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

HaoBao wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:13 am Is pure vermiculite or perlite/JI mix better?
Good question! "Better" is a value loaded word.
She uses 100% vermiculite.
I have tried sowing on top of 1cm deep layer on top of usual compost mix since I had seen that method suggested by other growers.
For offsets, I was recommended 50 50 perlite JI#2
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I use JI and vermiculite 50/50 for seed sowing. Very happy with it but would still germinate polyphylla in plain water.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

Had a look for vermiculite and it said some might contain asbestos. Anyone know anything about that?
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

It used to be used as insulation in properties and this was sometimes contaminated or mixed with asbestos.

Stuff bought now will not contain it.
Ed

BCSS member 53038