Aloe polyphylla germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe polyphylla germination

Post by MatDz »

Thanks Ed & Ed, all makes sense now!
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Due to the open nature of the long strand sphagnum, I managed to get this shot today.
A.polyphylla roots
A.polyphylla roots
It shows the roots are diving down nicely into the lower layers of sphagnum, even though this one has hit an air pocket! Great root hairs too!

The seedlings definitely seem to get off to a good start on sphagnum.

So far I have 5 seeds transferred (6th today). The three on sphagnum have all survived and are growing away. It looks like the first one to go on vermiculite won't make it (it's gone dark and translucent but hasn't died yet) but the second is doing as well as one transferred to sphagnum the same day.

I think the real test is going to be longer term with these and whether I try a bark mix with the seedlings to keep their roots aerated but moist, borrowing more tricks from growing orchids. Might be interesting as another experiment!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

I was lucky enough to get all three Aloes from the BCSS list.

I have successfully germinated A.polyphylla using the fairground goldfish method then into cat litter and plan to use that again this year.
But, what is the consensus for A.ramosissima and A.dichotoma, the same goldfish method or straight into a pot?

Thanks.
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I tried it with ferox and my mate used it for arborea Variegata this year and we got 100% germination quickly. So it works but the consensus seems to be that it just isn't worth the extra hassle! Depends how impatient you are!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

A.ramosissima
I did moist soil, heat mat in a bag but with the top not sealed so nice n humid but not too wet.
I have quite a few germinated now
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I have grown both from seed like Tina but sealed the bag and opened it 14 days after first germination.
jamest
Registered Guest

Post by jamest »

As a recent member of the BCSS and complete novice having never raised plants from seed - the sum of my gardening experience being keeping my three houseplants alive and a couple of potted plants in our tiny garden - I've hoped to raise Polyphylla from seed for a couple of years but never got around to it. I have today taken the plunge! Five Polyphylla seeds are now floating in water in a jam jar on the window ledge.

Clarke's original article, this thread and the cultivation leaflets have been really helpful. I'll post my progress and no doubt many questions to follow!
James, Plymouth
New member interested in seed raising - would love an Aloe Polyphylla
BCSS member: 53677
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Good luck James!
jamest
Registered Guest

Post by jamest »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:17 pm Good luck James!
Thanks - pretty nervous :???:

I’m using a thermostatically controlled heat mat under a small propagator - any advice on probe placement?
Polyphylla germination.jpg
James, Plymouth
New member interested in seed raising - would love an Aloe Polyphylla
BCSS member: 53677
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

My sphagnum moss experiment has come to an end today!

While the plants seemed to root away well and I didn't lose any on transition to the moss, I noticed they were being overtaken by the ones in JI / Vermiculite mix and then this week some of the leaves started to shrivel.
IMG-20210306-WA0003.jpeg
When compared to the ones in JI / vermiculite you can see the difference (or at least I can!).
IMG-20210306-WA0005.jpeg
So they were repotted. An easy enough job as the sphagnum fell off quite easily. Hopefully the roots will shoot off in the JI/Vermiculite mix.
IMG-20210306-WA0007.jpeg
Ed

BCSS member 53038