Aloe polyphylla germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aloe polyphylla germination

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than tacking on to some mention of Aloe polyphylla in an otherwise unrelated thread.

Some forum members probably know that I've grown Aloe polyphylla outside in pots in the UK (near Cambridge) since around 1996 (smaller ones kept inside if hard frost likely - which hasn't applied so far in winter 2019/20). Full story here http://www.viridis.net/cactus/aloe_poly.html.

I donated seed harvested in 2019 to the December 2019 society seed-list (I'd forgotten, but was reminded while arranging this that I'd also given seed some years earlier). The above web-page (including my experience with germination) was mentioned in the article accompanying the seed-list in the journal.

Did anyone here manage to get seed from the seed-list (I've only seen a few people saying in another thread that it had sold out)? How many seeds were in the packet?

Just for the sake of experiment (I don't really need more plants), I'm just trying a batch of 50 seeds from what I kept of this same lot. Since it's been successful before, I'm using the 'soak in water until they germinate' technique. As before (2013 experiment described on that webpage) I'm using unsterilised rainwater from the water-butt. No additives - not sure where the idea of 'a bit of fertiliser' some people mention comes from, let alone any other additives. Unless anyone's done an experiement comparing with/without, then I prefer the simplest option.

So 50 seeds went in the water on 2020 January 17. Kept at around 18 degrees C (not saying that's recommended - just happens to be what I'm doing). They float to start with. It's now January 19, so 2 days, and a few have sunk - I'd expect the rest to sink soon. When I did this before, germination started after about 28 days in the water - I fish out any showing a root and plant in soil, and germination continued reaching around 80% after 60 days.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Aloe polyphylla germination

Post by el48tel »

"Some forum members probably know that I've grown Aloe polyphylla outside in pots in the UK (near Cambridge) since around 1996 ................"

David Quail recently gave several folk cuttings from his plants which grow outside in the freezing North, aka West Yorkshire. Folk who also grow them here say, "like Kniphofia, but prettier!"
My cuttings are overwintering in the GH, to be planted out after the Vernal Equinox.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Cuttings from Aloe polyphyllaa???? Has there been some confusion with A. striatula which is possibly the hardiest of all aloes and offsets easily?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:47 am Cuttings from Aloe polyphyllaa???? Has there been some confusion with A. striatula which is possibly the hardiest of all aloes and offsets easily?
Only using the name with which I was provided ..... I will check when I see him next
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Clarke Brunt wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 am
Did anyone here manage to get seed from the seed-list (I've only seen a few people saying in another thread that it had sold out)? How many seeds were in the packet?
To answer the question, yes, I was fortunate enough to get a packet. I haven't sown yet, as far as I can tell it contains up to 20 seeds.

First of all many thanks for your generosity in donating seed. And for the pointer to your specific germination recommendations.

I am now glad I did not immediately rush into "normal" sowing, as your suggested method is one I shall be eager to try. Maybe I shall start soaking half my packet now, and the rest later, when conditions will be better after germination, unless I use my lights.

Best
Alan
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You can check what A. polyphylla should look like from this other current thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169228
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

They were my seeds on the seed list.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

'a bit of fertiliser' some people mention comes from
A PHD student did some research and found a marked repeatable difference when adding fertiliser to Aloe seeds, I don't know if they got their PHD or if any of their research has been published so thats all I can say.
If you have that many seeds you could do your own testing of course.

Mike I thought it was your seed,
about 15 in a pack I have 2 with germination nearly 2 weeks in water I use cooled water from the kettle, no algae please......
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

On re-reading Clarke's post it was his seed as well.
LHMBB
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by LHMBB »

Nitrate is well known to break seed dormancy, at low levels