Seed list

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jhb
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Seed list

Post by jhb »

I am so disappointed that in all the years I have been ordering seeds from the December edition that this year my bulletin was so long in arriving & me ordering as soon as it did come that my cheque has been returned along with the order stating that nothing I asked for was available.
Despite the fact that I live in North Devon I struggle to understand why my bulletin did not arrive until Christmas.
Even then I had to email to find out where my copy was. Not sure what has gone wrong here but as I said I am really disappointed to say the least.
Not really what I expected. Rant over.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed list

Post by Aiko »

I still have not heard back. So I guess not much left for me by now too?
What did you order?

It would be nice if the seed list would be published online the moment the paper version would hit the door mats. And one can send in a request digitally instead of just a paper form that has to go through the post. This gives everyone the chance of ordering in a timely matter, no matter where in the world they live.

The BCSS is the only succulent oriented organisation I know that works in this way (the MSG is not far off on this too, though, based on experience from 2018 and earlier, it could be different now), while better alternatives for its members exist and already in use elsewhere. Succulenta has stopped the paper ordering form a few years back. Those that still prefer to get a paper seed list and paper ordering form, could request one. That should make everyone happy / happier.
Last edited by Aiko on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

It was on line the year before, the 2018-19 seed list is still there. I haven't seen it updated to 2019-20.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am It would be nice if the seed list would be published online the moment the paper version would hit the door mats. And one can send in a request digitally instead of just a paper form that has to go through the post. This gives everyone the chance of ordering in a timely matter, no matter where in the world they live.
Seconded. With the proviso that I think the paper system should be done away with altogether.

There would be multiple benefits of having an automated ordering and streamlined payment system. Not least the convenience for the seed distributor. Provided only that the list of available seed was updated. This would benefit all members, including particularly overseas members, and save everybody from the vagaries of the postal system. The list could be advertised through the newsletter and website rather than the Journal. I am sure this has been discussed many times, but I am still at a loss to understand why it has not been done.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

There can be issues with an online system and it's perceived 'fairness' too. People who access emails and the web on a smart phone will jump up the order when other members who might only check emails or websites daily might miss out.

Then there's the issue of what time of day it goes live - if you do it at midnight then anyone who can't/won't stay up could miss out whereas if you do it during the day those at work and unable to sneak a look might.

Perhaps there is a way to do things differently that might be seen to be fairer. How about it's switched to online (or both are offered), the seedlist goes live on a set date and then everyone has 7 days to submit a request. At the end of the 7th day those requests done already have a random draw (again can be done electronically if all online) so that everyone has an equal chance of getting the rarest seeds.

After the 7 days it's first come, first served with the website showing what's already gone.

It'd take some work to get set up but then it should make life a lot easier for everyone who works so hard to offer this service to us.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

"We" are all assuming that the entire cohort (I.e. BCSS members paid up and entitled to receive benefits e.g. seed distribution ) have access to the internet. Otherwise it could be construed that there was constructive exclusion. I think trustees could be held to account by the Charities Commission for operation of any policy or procedures which was deemed not to be inclusive.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:21 pm "We" are all assuming that the entire cohort (I.e. BCSS members paid up and entitled to receive benefits e.g. seed distribution ) have access to the internet. Otherwise it could be construed that there was constructive exclusion. I think trustees could be held to account by the Charities Commission for operation of any policy or procedures which was deemed not to be inclusive.
el48tel I think you are under a false impression that the Charity Commission has greater powers or authority than it has. If seed distribution is just one of the multiple benefits to members it is hard to justify this is significant requiring CC action.

Surely we could argue the other way? By the current seed distribution arrangements the overseas members in particular are excluded?

Let's get real. In this day and age if the BCSS is determined to update and appeal to a wider audience we need change. There is no place for dinosaur ideas.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Alan we'll have to agree to differ on this .... but I do concede that the current arrangements are far from adequate.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

It is odd and obviously very disappointing that this year the seed list didn't get put up online I wonder why not.

That's a shame you got zero from your order previously they held all the orders & tried to randomise them I can let you have two packs of cono I ordered just because I liked the names
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Tina wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:36 pm previously they held all the orders & tried to randomise them
Are you sure that's correct, Tina? As far as I know whatever was said in discussions on this subject a year or two ago it has always in practice been first come first served.

My only worry was last year when the delay in my getting my package was because of a transcription error between my address as stated on the form and the address my seeds were sent to, resulting in a two week arrival delay. Just one more reason why a digital automated system is what we need.