Coronavirus and your branch

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Coronavirus and your branch

Post by topsy »

Hi all,

Having had a phone call from one branch secretary this morning asking if I knew of any meetings, branch or other C&S meetings which were being cancelled because of this health scare I thought it might be a good idea to monitor the situation and to that end please could you post any info pertaining to this.

Thank you, Suzanne
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Coronavirus and your branch

Post by ragamala »

topsy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:43 am 15.3.2020

Hi all,

Having had a phone call from one branch secretary this morning asking if I knew of any meetings, branch or other C&S meetings which were being cancelled because of this health scare I thought it might be a good idea to monitor the situation and to that end please could you post any info pertaining to this.

Thank you, Suzanne
Is it not more appropriate to have this in the Society Discussion forum? Other posts have already been made there.

This is not a scare. It is a significant risk.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

See BCSS Birmingham Branch post in News & Events:
https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=169384
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Southampton & District Branch has today cancelled all meetings and events for at least the next 3 or 4 months. The bulk of the branch committee members would be unable to attend meetings due to age, health concerns or elderly parents/relatives, so we decided that this probably reflected the situation for most of our members.
Better safe than sorry.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

I was going to be speaking at Southampton next month, probably the UK's largest BCSS branch but they've cancelled all meetings for the next few months.
Stuart
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

For larger events, don't forget to get https://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/c ... vents.html changed. For Branch meetings, Branch websites should be updated if at all possible.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

ragamala wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:50 am

Hi all,

Thank you, Suzanne
Is it not more appropriate to have this in the Society Discussion forum? Other posts have already been made there.

I would rather it was here (or in both places). I look at the Forum daily but never log in. To see the BCSS discussion section requires logging in which on my phone would be a nuisance if I had to do it every time.

Al
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

I very rarely log in either.

It belongs in the area most likely to be accessed and that's the main Forum.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Al Laius wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14 pm
ragamala wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:50 am

Hi all,

Thank you, Suzanne

I would rather it was here (or in both places). I look at the Forum daily but never log in. To see the BCSS discussion section requires logging in which on my phone would be a nuisance if I had to do it every time.

Al
Particularly as many other BOT members very rarely look at the forum.

(As an aside, both my PC and iPhone keep me logged in automatically onto the Forum all the time, so I never need to sign in.)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Hello Topsy. North Surrey branch has decided to suspend its meetings for as long as necessary. Also, as a speaker in the "at risk" age group, I would not be very happy in visiting other branches to give presentations at the present time.