Lithops mystery #1

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lithops mystery #1

Post by iann »

I've posted this before, but I'm not really any closer to giving it a name.

It looks like this today. Very pretty, I think.
mystery-0415.jpg
On the day I acquired it many years ago, tall and thirsty.
notbromfieldii.jpg
Shortly afterwards, less thirsty but even taller.
notbromfieldii2.jpg
notbromfieldii2.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Lithops mystery #1

Post by Astro »

Markings and shape of herrei and color of a sun-roasted naureeniae, or possibly geyeri? Hybrid?
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I think it might be L. herrei! I've overlooked that name before, focusing on L. naureeniae, L. geyeri, and L. helmutii, none of which are quite right. My other L. herrei plants look nothing like this, but they are all the translucens form. I think the colour is just about within range, at least for a plant on an exposed hillside in South Africa.
Cheshire, UK
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

One page 217 of Florent Grenier's Namaqualand book, he mentions a very variable Lithops population to the north-east of Eksteenfontein that has elements of L. geyeri, marmorata and helmutii. So it is not easy to pigeonhole some of these species.
FrancisJN
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by FrancisJN »

Hi Iann, great plant. how did you get it to revert back to its more natural state from it being too tall? I have a few plants that are doing this and I am trying to get them shorter. Cheers
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Just have to stick with it. The new leaves will naturally come in shorter if the light is good. In a couple of years all should be good. Can tear apart the old leaves if they don't separate nicely for the new leaves. Or the new leaves might burst through at the base if they are really struggling.
Cheshire, UK