Europarts absorbent granules.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Europarts absorbent granules.

Post by Patrick »

Mark, in my experience it doesn't go soft at all. It is particularly good for root development. Personally I wouldn't use such a high proportion of it in your mix. I add 10% cat litter.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Its baked clay so doesn't degrade like the trendy/expensive bonsai soils, you can even microwave it & reuse but microwave it WET/moist not dry as it broke my glass dish with the dry heat
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

50:50 is fine, but the soil mix will be very loose and light. I use a little less and some grit for stability. Have to experiment a little until you find a soil that works for you.

I was repotting last week and found some soil that still had perlite instead of cat litter. I'm sure it makes for a perfectly usable mix, but the plant wasn't doing well, probably because I was treating it like it had the same soil as the rest of my plants. Or maybe it was just far too old, I gave up on perlite at least 10 years ago.
Cheshire, UK
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

Thanks all for the explanation and the tips :). Does anyone use it in their seed mix? And if so what ratio? Thanks.
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Flayzerflay »

Mark i use it in seed mixes but mostly as a top dressing in sealed tubs/bags as it makes it easy to see the seed, first i use an old coffee grinder and chop/blend the dry clay for 1-3 seconds, then run through two seives as you want to get the powder and larger bits out so you're left with 1-3mm, i use pumice and akadama for the "show pieces" as it's best, but molar clay is a good all rounder, just don't use it as a top dressing on thick as it dries faster than it can wick so you end up with a sealed jar of damp soil.
Ratios for seeds depends on what you are growing, culd be 50/50 or 90/10
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

One thing that I would say is do not use different composts within your collection. I have bought plants that are growing in a mix with high levels of moler and they just have not continued to grow well for me until I repotted into my own potting medium. Different mixes require different different watering and feeding regimes and that is hard to achieve if you have them in use together.
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

Some great advice there, thank you both. :)
AlysonJoy
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by AlysonJoy »

I've had this for a couple of weeks, using in my potting mix. When I water a plant from the top, there is a slight hiss, as the water hits it. What is this?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

It's an extremely dessicated product so it's just absorbing the water quickly, it's why some people who use it and don't use it moist say it's no good for their plants.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

AlysonJoy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:47 pm I've had this for a couple of weeks, using in my potting mix. When I water a plant from the top, there is a slight hiss, as the water hits it. What is this?
I have noticed the hiss when watering my plants in a cat litter mix which I don't remember hearing with the old perlite mix I used to use.
I had assumed it was the water displacing air in the cat litter.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554