SB Plant invigorator, does it work?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

SB Plant invigorator, does it work?

Post by Nick_G »

For the last few years I've used a rape seed oil based spray to combat mites. This has been effective but it's sticky and does cause a bit of black mould on some plants. Nothing terrible but a bit of a nuisance. Late last year I switched to SB Plant invigorator but I've noticed some mite damage on some Lophophoras this spring.

Has anyone used SB Plant invigorator for any length of time? How often do you apply it? How effective is bit?
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Terry S.

Re: SB Plant invigorator, does it work?

Post by Terry S. »

I use SB a lot because there are not any satisfactory chemical controls for red spider mite available to the amateur. However, like you, I still do get a little bit of RSM damage. The first problem in using it is that it is contact only, so you have to spray the whole plant, which can be tricky in a big collection. Second, it does not kill the eggs and the cycle time for RSM in warm weather is quite short. So ideally I think the plants need to be sprayed with it almost every two weeks. Having a physical mode of action, resistance will not be a problem. There is a commercial concentrated form that would probably be the cheapest way of buying it.
BarbusBarbus
Registered Guest
Branch: LEA VALLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Hi Nick,

Yes, I’ve got some & do use it. I’ve never had it harm/mark plants & it does seem to make plants look ‘cleaner’ (not woolly ones!). It’s pleasant to use & doesn’t smell, etc. I guess like most sprays it has the potential to increase likelihood of sunburn, so I’ve always applied in the evening when plenty of time to dry. I apply sporadically without a set regime. It only has a physical mode of action so will kill most bugs that get coated in it, but it won’t harm eggs or get bugs deep in crevices/under pots, etc unless you are diligent about spraying these areas. I doubt also that it would clear root mealy or bugs living in the potting medium. As it kills by contact it would technically need repeated application in order to clear an infestation, but if you have eggs laying dormant for some time then that’s a lot of applications. It’s not particularly expensive & a bottle does seem to go a long way (maybe not if you have 5000 plants!). Personally I’d consider it a control not a cure. It does kill mealies however....I’ve tried gently lifting one onto a piece of paper & spraying it - death confirmed by microscope after 10mins! A
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I also use SB quite a lot. I started using it about 12 years ago when I used to grow quite a few fuchsias in a small greenhouse, they were very prone to RSM. I used to spray the whole lot once a week and it worked well, the plants completely recovered with no further damage. Of course, they grow much more quickly than cacti and succulents. Since those days I have also used it on cacti that seem prone to mites, mainly rebutias and allied genera. It works well but, as others have said, repeat spraying is necessary, I still aim for weekly sprays, not when it's sunny. For some reason I don't have the same success with my few lophophoras, I've actually thrown several away, but the mites persist. Definitely it's worth trying, get the bottle that you dilute yourself, not the ready made spray, it lasts ages.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

I don't know if SB is even available in Norway, but I finally caved a few years ago and imported some Avid and Floramite from the US. Not looked back since.

An old cactus book I have from Czechia recommends DDT as a cure-all :grin:
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Thanks for your replies. I may go back to the Bug Clear fruit and veg, or at least alternate between that and the SB. The SB should clean the mould off nicely if any forms from using the Bug Clear. I'm assuming the SB contains a detergent or soap of some sort as the jug I mix it in is sparklingly clean now.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: MEDWAY TOWNS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by NickHitchcock »

Would it be ok to use on Astrophytum myriostigma etc? They do have that suede like coat and not sure if it would mark it. :?:
Northampton and MK member
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I am not sure whether the last question applies to SB or the oily Bug Clear. I haven't used the latter, but you can be assured that SB has no effect on the white hair tufts of astrophytums.

Isn't it interesting how mealies like infesting some of the astrophytums and are well camouflaged among the hair tufts.
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Would biological control with Phytoseiulus persimilis be worth a try?
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

NickHitchcock wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 pm Would it be ok to use on Astrophytum myriostigma etc? They do have that suede like coat and not sure if it would mark it. :?:
Just an additional comment, I wouldn't use SB on plants covered in farina, like many Echeverias, but then I wouldn't spray them with anything at all.
Kees I've never had much success with biological control for any pest, although I've not tried for RSM. It would be interesting to know how others have fared.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias