OH, NO!!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: OH, NO!!!

Post by Stuart »

The bulbils vary, in Macroacantha they were mixed around the branches at the top of the flower stalk, all the bulbils were variegated. I've a photo, possibly of A. Arizonica outside a McDonalds in Tucson with hundreds of bulbils tightly packed all the way up the old flower stem. Someone brought a bowl of them with a few hundred in to give away at a Tucson meeting. Yes, Tina, that's the 'Prada lady', I sued to buy from her when I had time to browse for variegated agaves. She had nice plants in Thailand, small and expensive but healthy and not easy to find elsewhere. From her ebay feedback, she sold variegated agaves during the summer and spent the proceeds on Prada stuff during the winter. I'm not sure if she's still around.
Stuart
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Are there patterns in post-flowering offset production - which do, which don't - in the same way that there is for bulbil production?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:34 pm Are there patterns in post-flowering offset production - which do, which don't - in the same way that there is for bulbil production?
Phil, agaves generally don't branch or offset post flowering. A. parviflora is one of very few that does this.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I've just re-read p1 and you've already said that :oops: :roll:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Diane,
I found this photo showing bulbils developing from the flower spike.
From marriedtomy plants site, it would be nice to be able to grow agaves in the garden
agave-blue-glow-propagation-bulbils.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Thanks, Tina! I think many of the larger, more robust, Agaves produce these bulbils, which help them to spread far and wide. But I have a strong feeling my little parviflora is not going to go down that route. I'm also leaning toward leaving the spike to develop for a grand(!) finale, as I've never flowered an Agave before. I doubt whether cutting the spike will encourage bulbils growth, and I've rather resigned myself to its sad demise...
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

I doubt whether cutting the spike will encourage bulbils growth
I agree with you, they aren't tall flowers so it will be good to observe it, I had a stick & measured daily growth, its amazing how much quicker it grows on a hot day than a cold day.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

An update - flower spike is now 12" tall. Further advice I've had, is to allow the flowers to develop, then cut the top few off, (in the vain hope it might, just might produce bulbils).
image.jpg
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

:eek: thats speeding along, must be worth a try.
It might not have read Colin's agave book
Tina

Bucks, UK
brianc
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by brianc »

Hi Diane. I do not want to raise your hopes but 12years ago i had a normal A. Parviflora which flowered
i cut the flower spike off when it had finished because the plant still looked ok, after a few months i can not
remember how many i noticed three offsets forming i took them off and now one of them is sending up a
flower spike so perhaps all is not lost.
I have never seen a varigated form so your post was most interesting.