Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Acid John »

I don't know then, mine just sat there in the corner out of the way.
Windows 10.
Acid John
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Keith, did you leave it 'on top' after you dragged it or did you then close it? If you drag it and just leave it, it should just stay there - it's what I do.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Keith L »

Thanks Phil. I'm not sure - If I don't close it won't it remain open with all the recent chats shown which I wouldn't want either? Will have to experiment next time - probably miss the whole of the talk doing so! Anyone for a masterclass?!

Keith
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

But what about getting rid of the Zoom tool bar which obscured the second line of translation?
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, it remains open but, if you've pushed it far enough out of the way, it isn't a problem.
Here's my desktop with a chat pop-up:
z1.JPG
And again with it dragged nearly off the bottom right. I click on it and drag from as near to the top left of the panel as I can (around the 'C' of 'Chat', but not on the blue icon as that opens a menu) then put it where you can see and simply leave it there. Not perfect but it does prevent new messages triggering the bottom bar.
z2.JPG
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

That is what I did but on the left (tu)
Acid John
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Thanks Phil.

Chris L has also posted this link on the Zoom tonight thread http://manchester.bcss.org.uk/home/gett ... -problems/

Hope these comments help others get a better Zoom experience.

Keith
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: Showing and Judging: where to start?
Time: Tuesday, 12 January 2021 at 7:30 PM (GMT)
Meeting ID: 898 1414 6542
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89814146542?p ... 1NWjlQQT09

A ‘behind the curtain’ look at the judging process, this talk is for everyone - from those who entered the virtual show and were unsure of the criteria, to those looking for tips of what judges are looking for when we are allowed to show plants again. This talk looks to dispel myths, offer tips and give you an opportunity to ask questions to four qualified judges about any aspect of showing.

Presented by Gareth Darbon:
Having graduated with a BSc in Medicinal Chemistry, Gareth has pursued a career in Analytical Chemistry and is currently employed at the world’s largest contract research organisation. Outside of work he still enjoys rugby, both watching and playing, having officially retired from first team rugby in 2018. He inherited a love of cacti and succulents from his mother and father and now has a modest collection, with a particular interest in small growing cacti and haworthias. He always enjoys exchanging cuttings with other members as this is where his first plants/ love of plants really ‘grew’. Gareth was elected to the Shows Committee for the first time in 2019, but having grown and exhibited plants from the age of 6, he has a large experience of many levels of shows and has used this experience to become the youngest ever qualified judge and has also had the pleasure of judging two National Shows. He has also passed on his experience to two junior members who have since qualified as judges. He enjoys bringing his natural enthusiasm for plants to a wider audience.

Panellists:

Bill Darbon retired in 2013 after a career in the Police service and subsequently at one of the Oxford colleges. He has been interested in cacti and succulents since 1972 and is currently Chairman and Show Secretary of Oxford Branch. He has a mixed collection of plants, favouring Haworthia, Mammillaria, miniature and small growing cacti and Euphorbia. He has served on the Shows Committee since 2007 and distributes the shows stationery. He enjoys all aspects of the hobby, especially exchanging views and cultural experiences with other members.

Alan Brown retired from teaching in 2007, allowing him to spend more time in the greenhouse. He is active in the Leicester Branch (since 1971), and has been Chairman since 1990. He has a mixed collection and enjoys the challenge of raising from seed. At present his collection includes Lithops, Gymnocalycium and Turbinicarpus, as well as Haworthia and Copiapoa. He considers that Shows and Exhibitions are important places to advertise our Society and hopes to be able to find ways to attract more younger members through these events.

Hazel Taylor had a long career in Finance, after scientific studies leading to a DPhil in bacterial genetics. This did not leave much time for looking after her plants until she retired in 2015. She now has a mixed collection of plants, mainly small-growing ones to fit the space available in the greenhouse. She joined the Shows Committee in 2017 and believes that continuing to hold successful local and National Shows (when we can do so again) is an extremely important part of what the BCSS offers to its members.

Photo: Gareth and Bill Darbon
6ac4a00b-0276-45be-8428-f291a6afe5df.jpg
6ac4a00b-0276-45be-8428-f291a6afe5df.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Thanks Phil, that worked well last night. The Zoom tool bar disappeared and I was just left with the remnants of the chat box in a corner. So a clear screen for the first time to be able to view the presentation.

Judging by comment about watching people falling asleep, etc, I wonder if everyone is aware that you can completely hide the video panel via "view options" at the top of the screen on a PC/lap-top?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:38 am ............

Judging by comment about watching people falling asleep, etc, I wonder if everyone is aware that you can completely hide the video panel via "view options" at the top of the screen on a PC/lap-top?
I find that worrying.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.