Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: Jo Osborne - Seed Banking in southern Africa with the Millennium Seed Bank Partnership (MSBP)
Time: Tuesday 13 April 2021 7:30pm (BST)
Meeting ID: 824 8728 7573
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82487287573?p ... VPMktDQT09

In this talk Jo will introduce the conservation mission of the MSBP, explain some of the technicalities of seed collecting and banking, and highlight two MSBP programmes in South Africa and Mozambique. The MSBP has a long history in South Africa and some great conservation success stories to show for it. The programme in Mozambique is just starting out and has much potential.

Jo Osborne is the Southern Africa Programme Officer for the Millennium Seed Bank Partnership based at Wakehurst Place in the UK. She is an enthusiastic field botanist and plant conservationist.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 am Topic: Jo Osborne - Seed Banking in southern Africa with the Millennium Seed Bank Partnership (MSBP)
I know it's a sensitive topic, but will the talk be available to watch for any period of time? I don't think I'll make it tonight.
Mat
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

That seems to get decided as the talk begins! No way of knowing until Ian asks the speaker.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:14 pm That seems to get decided as the talk begins! No way of knowing until Ian asks the speaker.
I guess that's a no no as I see no link shared anywhere?
Mat
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

It's a 'no'.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: Steven Molteno - Astroloba, and succulent patterns in the Karoo
Time: Tuesday 20 April 2021 7:30pm (BST)
Meeting: ID: 894 3170 8011
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89431708011?p ... h4bk52dz09

Botany has been one of Steven's lifelong interests, and he has had a special love of succulent plants since he first became curious about them as a child on the farm where he grew up. His day job is in a different field entirely, so he maintains his research and studies in the field in his spare time. He writes mainly on the succulent Asphodelaceae, for publications such as Bradleya, Taxon, Haseltonia and Haworthiad. Steven's most recent projects included a four-year study of Astroloba, followed by work on the taxonomy, morphology and phytogeography of the genus Tulista, re-packaged as an MSc last year. Although clearly the hobby is now a serious academic interest, he still claims he's never happier than when exploring and botanising in remote Karoo mountains.

Astroloba are a rather understudied genus of miniature alooids from the South African Karoo, best known for the elegant spirals formed by their tiny leaves. Recent molecular studies have uncovered their relationship to a handful of other 'dwarf aloe' genera. This broader group of alooids - Aristaloe, Astroloba, Gonialoe and Tulista - seem to have little else obviously in common (except perhaps a tendency to grow either warts or keels on their leaves).

This talk will give a light overview of the genus Astroloba as a starting point, before taking a look at the plants in habitat, at home, at ease, and doing what they do best. Some aspects of their habitat are quite interesting, providing tips for cultivators, and maybe even some new lines of enquiry for researchers. Finally, the talk hopes to raise some broader questions around succulents and their phytogeography. Strange distribution patterns, with even stranger correlations in morphology, are echoed in other unrelated succulent genera. They hint at larger and subtler patterns affecting the succulent flora of the world's oldest arid region.
SM_April_17.jpg
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: Stefan Burger - Chilean Novelties
Time: Tuesday 27 April 2021 7:30pm (BST)
Meeting ID: 847 8788 0569
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84787880569?p ... ZiNmZTZz09

Stefan Burger, an Australian naturalist, takes us on a journey from Chile’s Mediterranean-type climate region to the hyper-arid north to see some of the lesser-seen cacti in the country.
SB_April_4.jpg
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Thank you Ian for organising and hosting all the talks over the past 12 months. (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu)
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Chris L wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm Thank you Ian for organising and hosting all the talks over the past 12 months. (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu) (tu)
Indeed! Thank you very much for all the effort - it's really been fantastic tuning in every week for a new talk.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: Ronald Fonteyne - From Cederberg to Richtersveld
Time: Tuesday 4th May, 2021 7:30 PM (BST)
Meeting ID: ID: 819 0194 7871
Join Zoom Meeting https://us05web.zoom.us/j/81901947871?p ... 5Wcytwdz09

I collect cacti and other succulents since the early 1970s. The fact that I am interested in all aspects of the adaptation of succulent plants to arid and semi-arid ecosystems has resulted in a mixed collection of both cacti and other succulent plants. This interest goes hand in hand with my pleasure in photography, which comes in handy when illustrating articles and giving lectures. I am a member of the Flemish cactus & succulent societies Grusonia and Lophophora, Succulenta, the BCSS and the DKG (Deutsche Kakteen Gesellschaft). Since 2006 I am involved in the organization of the ELK, first as secretary-treasurer and now as chairman of the organizing committee.
The wide surroundings along the Atlantic coast of South Africa consist of areas famous for their extreme richness of succulent plants of which many are endemic to this region. Succulent Karoo, Cederberg, Namaqualand, Knersvlakte and Richtersveld are place names that trigger the imagination of a succulent plant lover. In the present talk we are introduced to the great botanical diversity of these regions, from the tiny Conophytum minitum to the tall Aloe pillansii, discovered during a six-day tour through fascinating landscapes.
may1.jpg